Boulton Paul Osprey MK V, 1170 NAS, HMS Indefatigable, Japan, Autumn 1946

Started by Doug K, August 01, 2018, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Steal one from an Airfix or Frog Shackleton and do the latter with Centaurus engines.  IIRC, it was a proposal.

The Frog contra definitely fits that engine.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Doug K

Defiant prop blades are a foot or so longer than Spits, I'm learning a lot from this!

zenrat

Do you mean the diameter is a foot more than a Spit or that each blade is a foot longer (meaning diameter is two foot more)?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Doug K

Quote from: zenrat on August 14, 2018, 04:31:16 AM
Do you mean the diameter is a foot more than a Spit or that each blade is a foot longer (meaning diameter is two foot more)?

Each blade is roughly a 1/72nd scale foot longer..... I've compared the kit originals to both 3 and 4 blade from Spits and the Tempest that started it all (which is another foot per blade longer again).

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Doug K

OK, so as the initial backstory goes, the BP Osprey served through out war, engined with Merlins, like their Defiant sisters, as well as Bristol Hercules (watch this space) and Centaurus.

Like most Centaurus designs they just missed the end of the war and were used, as planned, by the BPF in the Pacific, spending most if their time on Armistice patrols in Japanese waters before retiring home with the carriers. This was the only design to be built with wing-mounted forward-firing cannon, an addition made in final production. 😉

With the advent of jets and the Admiralty's destruction of almost all the US-built FAA the Ospreys stayed on in frontline for a year or so longer until the decision was made that Fairey Fireflys were more useful (larger, faster, heaver weapon load) and the type was withdrawn and scrapped.

As has been seen in the thread it's the Airfix Defiant with a Matchbox Tempest nose, hook from the Airfix Hurricane that donated the guns to my previous Defiant MK ID build and wheels from a Bren-gun Spit. Nothing else to note except the shortened propellor blades that do make the spinner somewhat overpowering!

IMG_1437 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1439 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1440 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1444 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1443 by doug_alba, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

That's a MEAN looking machine, no matter how short the prop blades are.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2018, 02:04:05 AM
That's a MEAN looking machine, no matter how short the prop blades are.  :thumbsup:

Doug could have stretched the wings to make up for them. :P
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 26, 2018, 02:48:44 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2018, 02:04:05 AM

Doug could have stretched the wings to make up for them. :P

I nearly folded them, next one maybe! 🤣

Doug K

NARSES2

Quote from: Doug K on August 26, 2018, 03:03:11 AM
Thanks chaps, I'm really please with how it turned out

You should be  :thumbsup:

One of my favourite alternative scenarios - BPF in 1946, done quite a few of their aircraft.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Nicely done, and the end result is very neat. :thumbsup:

In some ways it's a shame they didn't develop the Defiant further as the airframe itself was quite good. I suspect the bottom line was that they just didn't need it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Doug K

Quote from: Weaver on August 26, 2018, 10:04:03 AM
Nicely done, and the end result is very neat. :thumbsup:

In some ways it's a shame they didn't develop the Defiant further as the airframe itself was quite good. I suspect the bottom line was that they just didn't need it.

Yeah, I think that was it, when you look at what was developed, at least for the RAF, there really was no need. The FAA, however might have benefited, if there had been enough production capability, but as there wasn't there probably would still have been a lot of US designs in the Royal Navy.

Captain Canada

Now that I like ! Looks so tough and purpose like. Defo stealing that idea ! Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?