F4U-1 Corsair, 79 Squadron RAAF, New Guinea

Started by Doug K, November 17, 2018, 02:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

So this was meant to be a quick last build before the end of the RAF Centenary. 6 weeks of solid travel for work kiboshed that!
I've always had a thing for the Aussie white-tails and the Corsair. The Kiwis had them so why not this?

It's the Smer kit, which is utterly dreadful. I couldn't be bothered with re-scribing, it was so awful. What's worse is I have another in the stash!

IMG_1460 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1463 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1464 by doug_alba, on Flickr

NARSES2

Dreadful kit or not you've made a fantastic job of it, looks glorious  :bow:

I to have a thing for the RAAF camouflage in that theatre. Done a very similar Corsair using the Hasegawa kit and also a P-47. Although I just used Foliage Green over Light Blue from the Lifecolor set.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

kitbasher

Very smart, very well done.
I SEACed up an old Airfix Corsair years ago.  Something that is usually finished in overall blue does suit browns and greens.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Thanks chaps, no idea what I'll do with the other one!

KiwiZac

Brilliant idea. Brilliantly executed. Brilliant!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

For sure, that defo looks good finished ! Nice work !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

upnorth

I like that a lot! That scheme looks great on the Corsair.

You can't really blame Smer for the kit quality, that kit was one of a bunch of old Heller molds they reissued. With the other Corsair options out there, I'd say the kit is good for"What if", parts for kitbashing or a cheap built between more complex projects.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Doug K

Quote from: upnorth on November 19, 2018, 11:47:23 PM
I like that a lot! That scheme looks great on the Corsair.

You can't really blame Smer for the kit quality, that kit was one of a bunch of old Heller molds they reissued. With the other Corsair options out there, I'd say the kit is good for"What if", parts for kitbashing or a cheap built between more complex projects.

Ah, I wondered where it had come from, there was more flash than the paparazzi, so that hinted at an ancient tooling

comrade harps

Whatever.

Scotaidh

Very nice.  :)   :thumbsup:

Not to hijack this thread (but I guess I'm kinda doing that - Sorry!)
I've never been a fan of the Pacific Theatre markings on Commonwealth aircraft - the roundel seems ... lacking, I guess, without the red centre.  (I've also never liked that British Corsairs had their wings clipped.  I know why, I just don't like the look.)

So, when I built my Corsair Mk IIC ('C' for cannon) I refused to clip the wings, and I looked through my decal box for alternative markings.  I found some from WWI that I rather liked - a lot of white with a tiny wee red dot in the middle - so I used those on the fuselage.  I guess that qualifies it as a Whif. 

Anyway, here's what it looks like.

I had to hastily clear away the spider webs for the picture - it's been in place for about 8 years or so, and the wee web-spinners have been busy.  :)

Sorry for the hijack - back to Doug's great build.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Doug K

Quote from: Scotaidh on November 22, 2018, 06:11:44 AM
Very nice.  :)   :thumbsup:

Not to hijack this thread (but I guess I'm kinda doing that - Sorry!)
I've never been a fan of the Pacific Theatre markings on Commonwealth aircraft - the roundel seems ... lacking, I guess, without the red centre.  (I've also never liked that British Corsairs had their wings clipped.  I know why, I just don't like the look.)

So, when I built my Corsair Mk IIC ('C' for cannon) I refused to clip the wings, and I looked through my decal box for alternative markings.  I found some from WWI that I rather liked - a lot of white with a tiny wee red dot in the middle - so I used those on the fuselage.  I guess that qualifies it as a Whif. 

Anyway, here's what it looks like.

I had to hastily clear away the spider webs for the picture - it's been in place for about 8 years or so, and the wee web-spinners have been busy.  :)

Sorry for the hijack - back to Doug's great build.  :)

:thumbsup:

Draggie748

Nice one Dougie,
Makes a change from that RAN stuff.
Cheers
Quick P