SOFT PLASTIC FIGURES

Started by NARSES2, February 02, 2006, 05:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

There's been some chat in the past about using soft plastic figures. Well the following linhk from the Hat. Industries site may help.

Interestingly the newer figure ranges are made from a friendlier plastic

Chris

TIPS
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Andrew Gorman

I asked about these at Starshipmodeler-
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/php...3662&highlight=
check out the replies quickly, since they vanish after a couple of months.  For me, I used an optivisor and a new x-acto blade the shave off the flash, and a coat of white glue/pva glue to coat the figure, and it worked just fine. BUT the figure I used does not get much handling-
http://groups.msn.com/ModelersAndHobbyForu...hip.msnw?Page=1
Andrew

cthulhu77

I've always used the white glue method...but for the figures in the Criquet diorama, I decided to try something new, and so I primed them with Future.   It seems to have worked perfectly, not a crack or flake around !  I guess I'll have to wait and see if it holds up in the long run, though.

noxioux

Interesting.  I'd never heard of the pva glue trick or the warm paperclip trick.

HOG

Hoyhoy`Al,
Only just found we had a figure section. When I used to model in 1:72 I prefered the Preiser range but if forced to use Airfix type figures I found a quick way to glue conversions was to rub both bits with a School foot scraper to rough up the surface and use a gel or thick super glue. If they wern`t available then Superglue 3 I found was the best `fluid` type of glue, many being just to thin.
Hope this helps
:drink:
Gary
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

rickshaw

Many years ago, when I used to wargame, Airfix figures were the only one available in 1/72 or 1/76.  I used to coat them with a thick, matt varnish called Estapol, sprayed on usually from a spraycan.  Then I'd undercoat them and then paint them.  I'd used to stick a sewing pin in the base for a handle and have a model box lid which I'd punched holes in.  The sewing pin would hold the figure in the upright position while the paint dried.  Some of these figures have lasted 40 years now. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.