Group Build Questions, Comments, and Suggestions

Started by BlackOps, November 15, 2005, 07:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOps

Obviously I haven't been here very long and feel kind of silly having to ask this question but how do the group builds work? OK obviously I figured out that the group builds something along the perameters set for the build but how do you know when it's just a suggestion or if it's an official build? Is there a difference?

Some of the group builds sound fun/interesting but I wouldn't want to build something and post pics only to find out I had broken some unwritten rule.

Also how do you know what group builds have expired...the racing tank build sounded fun but looks like it didn't go anywhere...is it still active or did it silently pass into the night?

What are the current official group builds if any? can anyone join or do you need to give advance notice at the time of the build?

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be? Hey I'm getting old and easily confused  :dum:

Hope all this made sense!

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Leigh

Jeff there isnt much official that goes on around here, hell I don't even know if anyone's supposed to be "in charge" I think it's Supertom.
For the two years I've been here all the group builds that have started have been competitions put together by one member.
Idea is germinated in a thread, someone volunteers to sponsor/be in charge whatever you want to call it and offer a modest prize. They then see how much interest there is and what would be a good time frame. The sponsor makes the rules. We build, enter, then a winner is usually picked by popular vote.
Pretty unnofficial
Gary was responsible for the F-Teenybopper because we were all pissing and moaning about grey F-18's
Mike came up with Latin-o-rama 'cos of a thread on how few latin subjects we see.
I came up with a one week build 'cos I was so proud of building a whole model in one weekend.
Gary came up with the twin booms as a tribute to Tophes' constant source of ideas on that subject.
Nev came up with Secret Santa to torture us during the busy holidays.
TSR.2 is obvious to tie in with the Airfix release.
Dunno what's next, in the realm of unnofficialdom they just happen.

As to who can enter the only one we've required advance notice of participation was the Secret Santa because of the obvious logistics that you had to send a kit to someone and they to you. All the others have been build and enter before the due date, tell us about it or suprise us at the end it's up to you.
If you wanna try putting one together, go for it the hardeat part is sorting out a time frame and garnering interest but as I've said before it only take two to make it a group build.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

BlackOps

Thanks Leigh, that's kinda what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure so I figured asking couldn't hurt ;)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Captain Canada

QuoteI don't even know if anyone's supposed to be "in charge" I think it's Supertom.
Troublemaker for president !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

RULES?! We don't need no steeenkin' RULES!  :ar:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Leigh

Troublemaker for president !
Exactly who is the "Troublemaker" you refer to?

I know Ollie's our official troublemaker but there's a few others who hang out here.

And while we're asking GB questions what is the next one after Secret Santa?
I know it was supposed to be TSR.2 but obviously Airfix are messing us around on that one.
Scooters? S.A.R.? Airfix? did anything get off the ground?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

nev

I expect we might know more after Telford :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

The Rat

QuoteExactly who is the "Troublemaker" you refer to?
Yeah, talk about takin' yer pick.  :P
QuoteAnd while we're asking GB questions what is the next one after Secret Santa?
I know it was supposed to be TSR.2 but obviously Airfix are messing us around on that one.
Scooters? S.A.R.? Airfix? did anything get off the ground?
I thought we were going with Wooksta's Airfix build, I've got two already planned.  :huh:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Leigh

I thought we were going with Wooksta's Airfix build, I've got two already planned.  :huh:
Yeah sounds about right starting when? February?

Leigh's Models

The Rat

I thought we were going with Wooksta's Airfix build, I've got two already planned.  :huh:
Yeah sounds about right starting when? February?
Start date? I thought they just sort of started when enough people said "I'm in!", but had a definite end date. In this thread Lee said "I suggested concurrent with the TSR2 GB (starting April 1, 2006) but others may have different ideas." I'm not sure, but does he mean that the Airfix build should end then and the TSR 2 build begin?

Ollie

Did someone ask for the official Troublemaker™?

B)  

cthulhu77

Well, Ollie...since airfix has somewhat boned the group tsr2 build, perhaps we could do a Phantom gb ?????

Ollie

Just Phantoms?  Naaaah...

F-4s and F-111s!

;)  

cthulhu77

Just have to rub the salt in, don't ya ?????  

K5054NZ

Simple. When? Who? What?

Also, is a "prize" a neccessity?

:cheers: