Postcard from the edge

Started by The Wooksta!, April 19, 2024, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Postcard from the edge of what is likely to drive me mad.  This, gentlemen, is the Contrail Junkers Ju 390.

Rough does not even begin to cut it.  Most vac's have a nice smooth surface, this has pits, divots and wide crevices.  The panel lines make the Matchbox trench digger look like the fine work of Tamiya.
Much of the kit is crude, even by the standards of the 70s.  It's a product of a time where the modeller did much of the work.  No brass or resin, no white metal or even crude decals.  This is absolute bare bones modelling and the spares box is going to be challenged.  I've some experience of vacforms, but nothing this big.  And this is big!

You cannot view this attachment.

Most of the parts.  The nose and tail have some rather unusual crude turrets moulded in situ.

The wings.  Cliff, those panel lines are wide and those engine fronts are at best a bad joke.  And what's that box thing?

A start has been made, the fuselage mouldings have been given the last of a can of Halfords primer.  It'll be grainy, but I'll be sanding the hell out of it, so it'll be smooth enough by the time the fuselage is ready.

I've also added the Planet 390 fuselage as a contrast.  Night and day?

The turrets, the engines (at a rough guess I'd say they're BMW 801TJs), that box thing. Contrail have moulded the proposed ultra long range bomber.

So, how much of the kit is going to be actually used? Other than the fuselage and wings, very little.  There are some very crude bulkheads given, which may be useful as patterns.  I can see several kits being cannibalised, not least the one in the next post.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

loupgarou

Hmmm. it's an ancient Sutcliffe/Contrail ?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

Is this some form of right of passage ritual you are being forced to perform?  :o
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

loupgarou

Why yesterday evening I was seeing only your photos and only now the text? Strange
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 19, 2024, 01:30:25 PMPostcard from the edge of what is likely to drive me mad.  This, gentlemen, is the Contrail Junkers Ju 390.

Rough does not even begin to cut it.  Most vac's have a nice smooth surface, this has pits, divots and wide crevices.  The panel lines make the Matchbox trench digger look like the fine work of Tamiya.
Much of the kit is crude, even by the standards of the 70s.  It's a product of a time where the modeller did much of the work.  No brass or resin, no white metal or even crude decals.  This is absolute bare bones modelling and the spares box is going to be challenged.  I've some experience of vacforms, but nothing this big.  And this is big!

Most of the parts.  The nose and tail have some rather unusual crude turrets moulded in situ.

The wings.  Cliff, those panel lines are wide and those engine fronts are at best a bad joke.  And what's that box thing?

A start has been made, the fuselage mouldings have been given the last of a can of Halfords primer.  It'll be grainy, but I'll be sanding the hell out of it, so it'll be smooth enough by the time the fuselage is ready.

I've also added the Planet 390 fuselage as a contrast.  Night and day?

The turrets, the engines (at a rough guess I'd say they're BMW 801TJs), that box thing. Contrail have moulded the proposed ultra long range bomber.

So, how much of the kit is going to be actually used? Other than the fuselage and wings, very little.  There are some very crude bulkheads given, which may be useful as patterns.  I can see several kits being cannibalised, not least the one in the next post.

Depending on which photograph your referring to when you say "that box thing" could either be a fuselage frame or an under-cockpit gondola. At least that's what I think you are referring to  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Good luck.
I hope the satisfaction you get from beating the thing and producing a build you are happy with is worth the suffering.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on April 20, 2024, 12:43:48 AMWhy yesterday evening I was seeing only your photos and only now the text? Strange

Very  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

That box thing, in the top photo with one set of tail surfaces, is a bomb bay according to the instructions.

The fuselage is cut out now and I've done some sanding, as well as filling the yawning chasm that is the cargo door and some of the worst of the divots.

The donor kit, pictured below, is providing an interior, possibly the canopy and the undercarriage.  I've made a start on some of the parts I'll need for the fuselage.  Ironically, with the remains of the 290 and another kit, I can cobble together another Ju 390.  But not at the minute.

Next task is to get some photocopies of the distructions so I can come up with templates for wing spars and bulkheads.  I know I'll need some locating ledges inside to mount the cabin floor, which will also need lengthening.  Some P38 filler to stiffen up the nose and tail could also be handy.  I also need it for the Heinkel He 277 at some point.

I'm deliberately leaving the wings alone until the fuselage is ready to close up.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Sounds like a plan to me  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Dizzyfugu

Good luck! Looks menacing!  :o

Pellson

I have an old vac form Hastings C.1 somewhere in the StashTM that looks very similar to this. That's probably the main reason for not building it yet, btw.. However, as that "kit" is the only game in town, I'm still hanging on to it, but God only knows when I'll dare to give it a go. 
Looking much forward to lots of in-process shots on this project to learn from.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on Yesterday at 02:03:04 AMI have an old vac form Hastings C.1 somewhere in the StashTM that looks very similar to this.

Yes, Contrail did a Hastings, and quite a few similarly large transports of the period. Not exactly finely detailed but a good basic outline to start with.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Formaplane did the Hastings and the mould is now with Neil Gaunt at Aircraft in Miniature.  It's unlikely to get repopped as  , and I'm quoting him "no one does vacforms now."

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

S&M did a resin one in 1/72 but I think you would have better putting money on the Lorrety than of finding one. In 1/144 Micro-Mir do an injection kit.

Gondor

Pellson

Quote from: The Wooksta! on Yesterday at 12:14:40 PMFormaplane did the Hastings and the mould is now with Neil Gaunt at Aircraft in Miniature.  It's unlikely to get repopped as  , and I'm quoting him "no one does vacforms now."

A Formaplane it is. And I'm not quite up to contest mr Gaunts statement just yet..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!