T55 Tamiya 1/35 "Finished"

Started by The Chaos, August 16, 2023, 11:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Chaos

So against my reason now but a BB to the next project.
The old Tamiya Kit. OOB built, only new tracks from Trumpi
and rudimentary etched parts from Eduard.
The lower hull went quickly and without any problems, only the suspension weehls hafe some grate and must ben sanding of.

Wardukw

A good easy build ..built quite a few of these..when they were cheap .
In the not to distant future I'll have 2 more ..a Enigma and  Tiran 5  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Chaos

A littel update on the tracks

frank2056

How are the tracks? I know Phill is a master at "workable" tracks, but in my experience, they're only workable in short lengths.

I'm tempted to build my T-55 after seeing your progress! Although I have several other T-54s and T-55s in the stash (Takon and Miniart) and have the Rye Field T-55 on its way.

Wardukw

Nothing better than AM tracks for tanks without return rollers  or with return rollers ..im not picky  ;D

Frank mate thank you for that ..that's made my morning 😄
The 55s you have are top of the pile ..the Tamiya 55 is a great model ..a shake and bake kit ..yours are not..the Miniart one will blow your mind for details as will the Takom kit ...no idea on the Rye Field but ill find out at some point  ;D

As for individual track links I work with full length tracks and it's just down to 2 things..the brand and how you handle them .
Friulmodel are the best for strength and weight ..very easy to handle and weather but most metal AM track sets are like that.
The world of 3D Printed tracks has come a long way  in a short time ..the Heavy Hobby tracks I used on my Panther thingy are amazing yet I drilled the links and used wire for the pins ..speeds up the build a ton and again ..makes then very easy to work with.
Model Kasten are also amazing but if built OTB so to speck..extremely time consuming to assemble and need gental handling.
I've built Meng tracks and once their built they are pretty good to work with ...being plastic tho weathering has to be lighter as paint will bind the track links .
When I get my 2 new T-55 based tanks ..both Tamiya..a Enigma and a Tiran 5 I'll look at AM tracks for both and I'm also scoring a T-72 aswell and that's going to be a Ukrainian hybrid..T-72 hull..a T-90 turret with cope cage and T-90 tracks .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

I do like a T-55 and this kit is viceless as far as I found. Even the kit tracks were quite passable but some Aftermarket jobbies, will be better

Wardukw

Buzzy mate your dead on mate..this kit is a absolute beaut of a model.
The only AM bits I'd get would be the tracks and gun barrel..other than that ya don't really need anything else.

Old Wombat

I'll be watching this! :thumbsup:

This reminds me, I really should finish my Tamiya T-62. :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

A Tamiya T-62?.??
My god mate ..ive had a heap of those..they were bloody cheap back in the day and I'm sure at least 90% got whiffed  ;D
Compared to Trumpeters tho ..it's a pile of junk and ppl here still want far to much for what it's worth here ..still builds into a base for a very nice kit ..typical Tamiya.  :thumbsup:

The Chaos

Wardukw

Lovely stuff 👌 👏 😊
What sort of paint job ya think you'll go for mate ? .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Chaos

Quote from: Wardukw on August 26, 2023, 12:53:04 AMLovely stuff 👌 👏 😊
Thanks and I think I make a snow camouflage with tiger Strips.

Wardukw

Quote from: The Chaos on August 26, 2023, 03:13:26 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 26, 2023, 12:53:04 AMLovely stuff 👌 👏 😊
Thanks and I think I make a snow camouflage with tiger Strips.
Dude that sounds amazing..no think..do  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  ;D

frank2056

Are you using solder for the fuel lines and cable runs? Those tracks look great as well.

I just got a RFM T-55A 1981 mod.. I have to decide between that and the Takom T-55AM