Some guns at a Finnish museum

Started by perttime, July 05, 2023, 03:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Last weekend, I visited a small museum with some "brothers in arms": "The Museum of Winter and Continuation War in Säkylä" or "Säkylän Talvi- ja jatkosotamuseo"
https://sakylantalvijajatkosotamuseo.fi/the_museum_of_winter_and_continuation_war/

Here's a few pics:

Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III), nicknamed "Sturmi" in Finland

You cannot view this attachment. 

Anti-Tank gun

Guarding the entrance: a 75 mm gun of US origin and a 20mm anti-aircraft gun of Soviet origin.

Double 20mm anti-aircraft gun produced by the Finnish "Valtion Kivääritehdas" (VKT) (State Rifle Factory)

Hiding behind some munitions, mines, Molotov coctails, etc, a Lahti L-39 20 mm anti-tank rifle, nicknamed "Norsupyssy" ("Elephant Gun")

Weaver

I think the anti-tank gun is a Bofors 37mm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bofors_37_mm_anti-tank_gun

Forgotten Weapons talking about and shooting the Lahti L39 20mm anti-tank rifle:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

perttime

The anti-tank gun does look like a Bofors. I forgot to make notes about it.
The L39 soon became too weak against improving armour - but still had its uses.

PR19_Kit

The Finnish 'swastika' looks much less evil the other way round.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

Not sure how the "hakaristi" (hooked cross) with odd proportions ended up on Finnish armoured vehicles. It was only used from 1941 to 1944.
The story of the blue air force one (1918 to 1945) is pretty clear.

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Quote from: Wardukw on July 05, 2023, 11:53:53 AMThat 75mm gun is a M1917 .
I believe it is. WWI guns in WWII times, refurbished and possibly with some tweaks to fit the ways General Nenonen wanted to use artillery.

Wardukw

Quote from: perttime on July 05, 2023, 07:56:20 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on July 05, 2023, 11:53:53 AMThat 75mm gun is a M1917 .
I believe it is. WWI guns in WWII times, refurbished and possibly with some tweaks to fit the ways General Nenonen wanted to use artillery.
The US used that gun from 1918 up to 1945 ..shows it was quite useful and the Finns thought so to  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.