MPC Daytona Transport Support Truck with photos finished

Started by McColm, October 15, 2022, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The cab now has a daybed which came off the front of the trailer top as I'm having problems fitting it, so it's has been assigned to the spares box.
I'm using 1/72 front nose wheels to the cab tilting forward as a temporary measure, the tyres came from the Austin 1300 model.
There's a couple of Italeri 1/24 Truck Accessories kits which would come in useful for this bodge/build.
Warm soapy water seems to do the trick in clearing the windscreen but I left some bits for the weathered effect.

Overhead view

McColm

The back window has been removed and so has the masking tape. I have found that Lifecolor acrylic paint UA 548 FS 34102 Royal Air Force Light Green 1701 is a very good match for the Tamiya AS-14 Olive Green USAF.

Now the fun part begins, filling in the gaps with truck stuff.

McColm

I think that I have solved the problem with the cab's stability,  by adding a third wheel.

I found another set of wheels, with all the same tyres, the tricycle cab layout seems to work in it's favour.

McColm

Just waiting for the Italeri truck accessories packs to arrive. The rear indicators on the trailer have been removed and the tailgate glued in place.  I'm using scrap pieces of cardboard as templates to fabricate the the third wheel surround and to fill in the gaps.
I can use the plastic from the hardtop but it's a bit too thick for my saw to cut through. I think a mini-hacksaw or a two pin plug for my look-alike Drimmel set as there's a cutting tool attachment.
I can scratch build the trailer legs and start on the Revell Tradewind kit.

McColm

The 1/24 Italeri European and American truck accessories No.706 kits arrived this evening, just a case of sorting out which parts I need. PSR will commence tomorrow and the trainer rear lights added. Strips of masking tape painted matt black ⚫ and the alloy wheels painted green. A raid in the spares for offcuts of thin plastic for the mirror support and aerials.
I know it might even be finished by the end of the month.

McColm

Fuel tanks were fitted and some of the checkered panels have been felted, once again this is not a squared cab chassis. I have fitted a pair of exhaust pipes on either side of the cab fairing.I don't think that this was an actually built in the RW, which means I can put the parts where I like.

McColm

More experiments with shapes to fill in the gaps, hidden by Milliput. Left to harden overnight so PSR tomorrow to look more truck-like .

McColm

Rick Lowe

FYI, the original Transporter truck with Dragster payload kit is available again from Round2.

McColm

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 04, 2022, 11:18:25 PMFYI, the original Transporter truck with Dragster payload kit is available again from Round2.
Thanks  :thumbsup:

McColm

A rummage in one of my spare parts boxes has resulted in the Italeri 1/24 Truck Accessories set II No.3854.  I don't know if I have all the parts to construct the crane but I am in the process to of building it as part of the trailer.
Instead of a pure military truck and trailer, perhaps contracted to the military or bought in one of the sales and converted into commercial service. I also intend to use as many of the decals and shinny parts. I will keep some bodywork in the grey primer and filler as it's a work in progress. So this vehicle is well used and abused during it's daily life.
The crane will be left in the yellow plastic with a few warning stripes.
I will do some research.

I have used a few leftovers to strengthen the crane operating base.

PR19_Kit

That looks JUST like the big brother of the crane on my 1/72 Stalwart!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 09, 2022, 10:59:10 AMThat looks JUST like the big brother of the crane on my 1/72 Stalwart!  :thumbsup:
I've had to modify it to get the parts to fit.