USAF F-112 Hunter

Started by TomZ, September 17, 2022, 10:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

In the middle of the 1960s the North American F-100 was deployed to Vietnam for the US Air Force. Very soon it became clear that the USAF needed more aircraft in Vietnam but it was not very successful against the Mig-17s of the North Vietnamese. The USAF replaced the F-100 with the F-4 Phantom but the lack of a gun in the Phantom was a problem.

Looking for a alternative the USAF bought 100 Hawker Hunters from the RAF to supplement the fighter force in Vietnam. The Hunters were operated by the USAF as the F-112 Hunter and were very successful combating the North Vietnamese MiG-17s and MiG-19s.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

kerick

I like it!!!
And you could say they were handed over to the South Vietnamese like the F-5s were.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

That looks remarkably possible in that colour scheme too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Is it possible for a Hunter to ever look anything other than beautiful? No. No I say!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Tophe

Good model! proving definitively that the Hunter was an American plane. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on September 17, 2022, 07:42:19 PMIs it possible for a Hunter to ever look anything other than beautiful? No. No I say!  :thumbsup:

How very true.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

SEA camo suits the Hunter very well! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Good job.
 :thumbsup:

My Hunter's back story mentions service in the Vietnam theatre but that's not the one I built.  This is great.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

Whatever.