Austin/Morris 1800 convertible

Started by McColm, September 02, 2022, 01:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

My stepfather used to own a Wolseley Six ,wooden dashboard and blue nylon seats, the Australians took the Austin/Morris 1800 and turned it into a Ute which got me thinking, why not go down the convertible route.
Crayford offered the estate ( as the word hatchback wasn't in common usage at the time) with an extended roof rack. Which was the largest flat space with the seats folded down at that time in the fleet so I have read. I have found a black and white photo of a Leyland test vehicle which shows the rear glass extended and a box-looking rear door. (Just need to find it again).
Occasionally there's a resin bodyshell on Ebay or the die-cast model cars made by Dinky. I think Vanguards also have the Austin 1800 in their range.
I'm not too sure about Corgi but I will check.

PR19_Kit

The 1800 Estate was an intended model in the 1800 range, but it was cancelled when it was obvious that it was just too similar to the forthcoming Maxi. The Maxi was a little narrower and shorter, bit offered  almost the same internal space as the intended 1800 Estate.

You cannot view this attachment.

The 1800 Estate prototype, the only one built.

You cannot view this attachment.

A Maxi, you can see what they meant..........   
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

There was an intended Riley badged 1800 but this was dropped. Maybe it Vanden Plas version.

McColm

I don't know if this is a genuine photo of the Austin 1800 estate test vehicle.

McColm

Looks like the Australians had the same idea to build an estate version
Sourced from the AROnline website for further information about the subject.

McColm

I don't know how to add multiple photos, so here's the rear end to the picture above.

McColm

I'm not too sure if this is the same car.

McColm

The stretched version

Or would you buy the Austin 3Litre.

McColm

PR19_Kit

That green one is the only one that looks 'official' to me.

The others look very much like coachbuilt conversions by the likes of Crayford etc. Some of them have stretched floorpans, either in front of or behind the rear axle line.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2022, 02:44:12 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

A Maxi, you can see what they meant.......... 

That photo would probably cause outrage nowadays  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm