F/A-37 Talon Model (3D Printed Parts)

Started by Spino, August 23, 2022, 01:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spino

I'm going to attempt to re-create the F/A-37 "Talon" depicted in the movie "Stealth".  I want to do it larger than 1:72, so I'm going to 3D print the parts from a CAD model and attempt to create it that way, in 1:48 scale or something close to it.  Thoughts on what I should arm it with?

Martin H

No idea what to tool it up with. But sounds an interesting project. Good luck
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

DogfighterZen

I guess it depends on the mission/role and timeframe you want to depict it in.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Quote from: Spino on August 23, 2022, 01:58:32 PMre-create the F/A-37 "Talon" depicted in the movie "Stealth".
I did not know this plane, just the Nothrop Talon T-38 (similar to F-5B), but Google explained and this is interesting :thumbsup:
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:ASW_Fake_FA37_1.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

You could add an interior weapons bay like the F-117.

Spino

In the movie the Talon had an internal weapons bay. and as far as I can tell it carried AIM-9M Sidewinders (interesting that it didn't have the AIM-9X since the movie was made in 2005 and the 9X came along in '03), AGM-130 boosted glide bombs, and a Paveway-type LGB called a "Truncheon implosion bomb" (fake I'm sure).  There's an F/A-37 mod for SF2 that has AIM-120 AMRAAMs, AIM-9X Sidewinders, and several different kinds of LGBs and AGMs.  Not sure if the AMRAAMs are feasible, the nose doesn't have a lot of room for a radar and it's oddly shaped for one anyway, though I suppose something like the APG-65/73/79 from the Hornet/Super Hornet might fit. 

Mossie

Two Phoenix fairings from a Tomcat mounted side by side, give a very interesting stealthy shape.  A spade shaped nose with a faceted body.  Add some flip out wings like JSOW or Storm Shadow.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Spino

That's an interesting idea.  I found a model I want to use, but I have to slice it first.  It's not easy to print something like this.

Spino

Been a while I know, haven't done any printing yet unfortunately.  Having to edit the model with Solidworks to get it to a printable state for this scale.  Probably going to design custom weapons for it in Solidworks too, done it before for other things.

Spino

Found a better model to start working with, now I just need to cut it into sections to make it easier to print, and modify it a bit to allow the wings hinges to work.
You cannot view this attachment.

Spino

Armament will probably come from my stash of LGBs and whatever else I can 3D print.  May have a couple of AIM-9X that I can use, and plenty of AGM-179s.

Devilfish

I do love the Talon, it's such a cool design, but in real life it'd be as stealthy as me.....lol

Spino

Quote from: Devilfish on February 29, 2024, 09:59:06 PMI do love the Talon, it's such a cool design, but in real life it'd be as stealthy as me.....lol

Yeah the intake design is very wrong, among other things.  Stealth aircraft and splitter plates do not mix!  It looks fabulously cool, but to the trained eye it's obviously not a stealth aircraft.  The UCAV EDI from the same film looks to be considerably more stealthy.  Heck, it starts to resemble what a 6th generation fighter might look like if you get rid of the weird geometry around the canopy and either delete the canopy or move it back far enough to allow for a radar in the nose.

Jesse220

Spino

Getting the model cut into printable pieces is the next big roadblock.  I can never seem to remember how to do that in blender  :banghead: