Douglas McDo-10+ (finished page 4)

Started by Tophe, August 15, 2022, 08:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

For a long time (since 2020 or before), I was dreaming of a single-engined McDonnell-Douglas DC-10 (or KC-10): the tail engine (with vitamins + maybe from McDonald's!) is enough, let us discard both other engines! (to use on another model, or crazily on this model?).

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/md111-.jpg

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/md117-.jpg
But I failed to convince a modeler friend making a DC-10 model to do this crazy thing. And as far as I am concerned a DC-10 was much too big for me, even 1/144, even removing most of the length and span. But last week I tried to find if there was a smaller one then 1/144. In diecast metal, there are 1/500 models perfect, but I am not sure I can whif it my way without saw for metal, putty for metal... Searching again and again, I found (plastic) Revell 1/320 and Matchbox 1/320, perfect! But unavailable for several years or decades (one available on E-Bay but awfully expensive: 80€)... I was sad, and today I started again this search and found the Zhengdefu 1/300 plastic model kit and very cheap 8€ ! Before ordering it immediately I checked to confirm this is not diecast and found nothing else than this E-Bay proposal, but I ordered it, yes! Arrival home is scheduled for Friday of this week, as this comes from my country not from China (and I have been informed this evening that the parcel has been already sent). I will let you know.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

On the photographed box, I was surprised by the rather big dimensions even at 1/300: about 16cm long, 16cm wide.
But it is right, as a DC-10 in true life is about 50m x 50m, 1/144 makes 35cm x 35cm, 1/300 : 16cm x16cm. Mine, much truncated is planned to be finished near 8cm x 8cm.
EDIT: 50m = 55 yards, 35cm= 1ft 2in, 16cm = 6in, 8cm = 3in.

PR19_Kit

Sounds a VERY interesting project.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks Kit. ;)
(I failed to convince you for your own KC-10 so I am doing my own right now, this is logical) ;)

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on August 15, 2022, 10:39:52 AM
your own KC-10
or MD-11. To remember, it is at: https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48625.150  :thumbsup:
This stands as a reference, of what a sane whif should be. ;)

Tophe

I saved the page of the offer, to keep proof of the "plastic" announcement (in case I would receive a diecast model):

Tophe

And here the other ones (below), too expensive a few days ago (but today a Revell one is proposed at $8, surprisingly)::

PR19_Kit

That's the same kit Tophe, just re-boxed by Revell.

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks for the info, even if I will build the 1/300 not 1/320. <_<
By the way the fuselage diameter is 6.0m = 2.0cm at 1/300 (80% of one inch), small, good. <_<

Tophe

with photo editing, my project is confirmed as very possible: <_<

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/dc10-1j.JPG

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2022, 10:37:10 AM
Sounds a VERY interesting project.  :thumbsup:
Uh, sorry Kit, to be rather disappointing but my project will include a big length reduction, like on the photo below or even more...

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/dc10-1j-short.jpg

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Please accept my apologies... :unsure: :-\
while this has two advantages at the same  time:
- saving room in my shelves
- increase the whif change

PR19_Kit

Of course, it's your model after all.  ;D

Regards
Kit