Wanted: 1/72 Blue Steel

Started by Devilfish, July 24, 2022, 10:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

I've been asked to modify my Bomcorde to match the drawing seen in the 1968 RAF yearbook, and fit 3 Blue Steels.
I have 2, but the 3rd has proved a bit elusive.

Does anyone have one going spare?

kitnut617

I've been down this road and I should warn you that they won't fit. The Blue Steel is much too big. I was told that at the time of the rendering was drawn, there was rumours of a scaled down version of the missile, what is shown in the rendering was the artist' interpretation of it. But in reality, the 'small' Blue Steel was just a shortened standard airframe. It was called the Z.122, you can get these from 'thelostcosmonaut' in 3D print.

This is my attempt at doing it. You can see that the recessed part from the Vulcan kit is almost twice as long as the 'short' missiles shown in the rendering. I have bought three of Alistair's Z.122 missiles but even now I will have to revise how I'm going to install them. If I've got time this week I'll take some photos of the Blue Steel and Z.122 together.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

But having said all that, if you want to continue doing a model of the rendering,  I would suggest what is shown is more like a 1/144 scale Blue Steel. If you ask Alistair (the lostcosmonaut) he might be able to scale down is creation.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Devilfish

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 25, 2022, 05:53:05 AM
I've been down this road and I should warn you that they won't fit. The Blue Steel is much too big. I was told that at the time of the rendering was drawn, there was rumours of a scaled down version of the missile, what is shown in the rendering was the artist' interpretation of it. But in reality, the 'small' Blue Steel was just a shortened standard airframe. It was called the Z.122, you can get these from 'thelostcosmonaut' in 3D print.

This is my attempt at doing it. You can see that the recessed part from the Vulcan kit is almost twice as long as the 'short' missiles shown in the rendering. I have bought three of Alistair's Z.122 missiles but even now I will have to revise how I'm going to install them. If I've got time this week I'll take some photos of the Blue Steel and Z.122 together.

I'm well aware of the problems. I did tell the client this, but he really wants me to try.  I will probably semi-recess the centreline one and fit the other two as close inboard as I can on pylons.  Not ideal but, as they say, the customer is always right.....

I'm afraid I can't see your picture.

Pellson

I can see the pics, and I also have a Blue Steel from the Airfix Victor bomber, should no one closer to you be able to help. I will be out of office for a few days, though (Rammstein concert!  :wacko:) so bear with me if trying to get in touch.
And do write rather than call. As said - Rammstein..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!