Kyushu J7W1 SHINDEN ,,Slightly wiffed

Started by Wardukw, April 27, 2022, 06:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

The first time i saw this plane i wanted one and at the time which was donkeys yrs ago now the only one was the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale one.
I ended up with 3 of them over the yrs but i always wanted a bigger model of this plane and low and behold i came across one in 48th by Hasegawa but when i saw this i have given up building planes completely and of course the thought was "oh well" .
Thanks to a one gentleman who wont be named (Guy)  ;D the aircraft bug bit and i found this model again ,,which im most happy about .
I watched a vid on youtube which had the Shinden mentioned in it and they talked about a upgrade which this plane was going to get but never did..the adding of 2 more 30mm cannon in the wing roots ,,it already had 4 in the nose so 2 more couldnt hurt .
Thats what we have here ..upgunned J7W1 Shinden
First off ..the cockpit
DSCF3417 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3418 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3419 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Now the rest of it .
DSCF3422 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3425 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3427 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3428 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3429 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

As you blokes can see this plane has been in combat and it well worn cause of it ,,working with the fact that for some reason the paint the Japanese used on their aircraft refused to stick to them for very long  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

I'm sure I'm starting to rival Kit* for the "It's always ____'s fault!" :rolleyes:

Really nice work, Phill! Has the "look" down perfectly! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wouldn't want those wing guns firing in the act of nosing down, though; could get a bit embarrassing. ;)

[*: Or, at least, coming in a close 3rd behind Fred. ;D]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Devilfish

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 27, 2022, 09:08:57 PM
Wouldn't want those wing guns firing in the act of nosing down, though; could get a bit embarrassing. ;)

Same here, I am not 100% certain if this gun position is "kid-safe". A very nice finish, though, reminds me that I have at least two Shinden-based whifs on my long idea list, too, that have to be tackled some day...  :rolleyes:

Wardukw

;D Guy ..ya know when it comes to being blamed you can thank ya self for throwing me back into something i have really missed building as it turned out  :lol:
The amount of aircraft based ideas keeps growing  ;D
As for those guns ..its WW2 Japanese guys..a race of ppl who honestly i dont think they knew what safe really ment  :lol:
Going over that vid where those guns were ment to be and where they are could be the same place ..yet i am only guessing here but they do fire under the front wings with plenty of room to spare  :thumbsup:

Oh a wee update for you dudes  ;D
Right now i am building something tracked to break away from aircraft for a bit but i also want to start building the TP88s big brother   :lol:..its official guys..aircraft are in the blood again and it looks like its there for good now  :o
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Good job DUKWy.
:thumbsup:

I've thought of a) building one backwards and 2) building a jet one with short legs and big intakes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

I've always wanted to see one done with a BFO cannon in the nose like the 262 Canonvogel.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

I think I have seen a reversed Shinden somewhere (did not look too good, though, due to the swept wings), and there used to be a reversed F4U build in the WWW that looked a lot like the Shinden, too.
A jet-powered version is on my agenda, too, with the help of a resin copy of Hasegawa's OOB conversion piece. Sadly, it's more or less just a different engine opening, so that the narrow OOB air cooling intakes/slits with the additional auxiliary "ears" from the psiton engine original remain. This should IMHO be improved with wider intakes for the jet engine, and the landing gear should be shortened, too. A bubble canopy would also be a nice update?

Wardukw

Thanks guys  ;D and Fred mate it looks like your idea is in the toilet so to speck as those pics Guy chucked up show..how to build a jet verison..loose the propeller and your 3/4 of the way there ..thats terrible..i woyld have to go with Dizzys ideas..make it look like theres ment to be a big arse jeet engine there..new intakes..longer exhaust.shorter and stronger landing gear and then take Lees idea and stuff a ...hmmm what would the Japanese use ?..probably a 47mm cannon ..yup..in the nose that goes .
This verison is there for the taking and i wouldnt be able to find another anyway...so go for it lads  :thumbsup:
I want to see this version made  ;D

frank2056

Amazing job, Phill! The mottled/worn camo looks great and so does the cockpit.

Hasegawa had a 1/72 "real" version, plus a Defense of Japan whif  and the jet version. A friend loaned me the jet version and I made resin copies of the extra jet parts (I have them somewhere) but IIRC, other than the exhaust cone, the intakes were only slightly different. The jet exhaust can be easiy replicated.

Wardukw

Thanks Frank matey  ;D ...things for me have kinda turned bad at the moment and this time its Guys and Thomas's fault .
Now i want another one to build with Guys jet engine info and Thomas's idea about making it with a large cannon like the 50mm armed ME262  ;D
Ever since i read those posts this morning the idea has been bouncing around inside the hollow thing above my neck.
The biggest problem is finding another one . :o

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: frank2056 on April 28, 2022, 08:28:16 PM
Amazing job, Phill! The mottled/worn camo looks great and so does the cockpit.
... but IIRC, other than the exhaust cone, the intakes were only slightly different. The jet exhaust can be easiy replicated.

Both Hasegawa jet whifs (1:48 and 1:72) are basically the prop version, just with a slightly modified tail cone for the jet efflux - and even this is IIRC very close to the radial's opening, just with a cone in the middle that looks rather weird. Makes you wonder what kind of engine this is supposed to be with this diameter!? A centrifugal jet? Both also come with optional parts to add wider and longer "ear" intakes to the flanks, on top of the original air cooling slits, but that still looks wacky and not truly convincing to me. They could IMHO have put more effort into the kit(s).  :-\ 

While I have resin copies of the optional Hasegawa parts for the jet conversion, I feel inclined not to use them at all if I ever tackle my interpretation of the J7W2.  :angel: