Main Menu

RIP the AN-225

Started by Weaver, March 04, 2022, 02:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

It's been rumoured ever since the Russian airborne attack on Hostomel Airport, but it's now been confirmed with pictures: the An-225 Mriya was destroyed in the fighting:

Pictures from this thread on Twitter by Aeronews: https://twitter.com/AeronewsGlobal/status/1499642419670827008?s=20&t=yN3SilrMju-71NjbgDeJ5g

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

zenrat

Shame.

That's one heck of a big shelter.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And that gained the Russians precisely what?  :banghead: :banghead:

I'm glad to have seen its monster shape looming over the Black Sheds at Farnborough when it flew in there.

Wasn't there another part completed airframe as well? But that was probably at the same Antonov owned airfield.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2022, 02:41:13 AM

The ability for Ukraine to earn tax revenue through industrial heavy lift and international good will through humanitarian heavy lift
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Here's some pics of her in better days.
Moving Chinooks out of Kandahar in 2005.
Courtesy of the real Fat Hamster.

DSCF0005 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
DSCF0006 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
DSCF0002 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
DSCF0030 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

I'm glad to have seen its monster shape looming over the Black Sheds at Farnborough when it flew in there.

Wasn't there another part completed airframe as well? But that was probably at the same Antonov owned airfield.

AFAIK there's no detail on who did it or in what context. It may have simply been caught in an artillery barrage, or there may have been troops of one side or the other immediately outside the hangar, in which case it might have been impossible to avoid hitting it whilst engaging them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

sandiego89

Yes, the partially built second one is in the big hangar just to the South a few hundred meters.  Basic fuselage complete.  Have not heard any reports on that one.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

The reports say it was bombed, but the poor thing is TOTALLY wrecked inside a very slightly damaged hangar, with only a few holes in the roof.

Did the 'bombs' land sideways?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2022, 12:05:31 PM
The reports say it was bombed, but the poor thing is TOTALLY wrecked inside a very slightly damaged hangar, with only a few holes in the roof.

Precision guided glide bombs do.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

In the foreground of one picture there, looks like an unexploded shell -----  :-\
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2022, 12:05:31 PM

Bombs tend to be set up so they punch through thin metal (like a hangar roof) and explode inside.

Weaver

I saw some footage of a Ukrainian Su-24 dropping iron bombs at very low level and high speed, allegdly over Hostomel. I think they'd have hit the ground at less than 30 deg, so, depending on the fuzing, they could well have gone in through the front of that hangar.

- Indiana Jones '

kerick

Nice shot of the unexploded artillery shell in the fore ground. Makes me think it got caught in an artillery strike. Stupid thing to do by the Russians.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on March 04, 2022, 05:25:08 PM
Nice shot of the unexploded artillery shell in the fore ground. Makes me think it got caught in an artillery strike. Stupid thing to do by the Russians.

Right now, everything the Russians do is stupid! :banghead:

Right now, everything the rest of the world doesn't do is stupid! :banghead: :banghead:

I've been watching Putin &, after a week of the Ukrainian invasion not achieving much & worrying whether NATO might react to some act, you could see the stress & anxiety building in him.

Now, at day 10 (11?) & the world doing nothing of any real consequence, you can see his confidence growing again & in a couple/few months you can say goodbye to the Baltic states, as Putin forces a direct link to Kalingrad by expanding Greater Russia.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

I thought that the Chinese were building the An-225 and An-124s.