WhirlyBird to close

Started by Nick, November 26, 2021, 09:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Whirlybird Models made this announcement on FB yesterday. They will leave a gap in the helicopter model market.

2 Exciting pieces of news from Whirlybird!
20th Anniversary Sale

Whirlybird began with the launch of two decal sheets at Telford 2001. Sadly we couldn't be there this year to celebrate our 20 years, so instead we decided to have a Grand Sale as a big thank you to all of our loyal customers and friends.
20% off EVERYTHING in stock!
Here is a link to our sale pricelist (http://whirlybirdmodels.com/docs/pricelist.pdf), if it is not on the list, it isn't in stock. Some items are low stock, so be quick with your orders, so you don't miss out.

Retirement announcement
We are sad to announce that Roger has decided to retire.  Various health issues over the last couple of years (for both of us, in fact) have led us to conclude that it is now time to step back. We are greatly indebted to all those who have freely given their time, assistance and knowledge in so many ways over the years – thank you so much.
Whirlybird, as you know it, will stop trading on 31st January 2022.  Will will offer our sale pricing until then.
We are looking for a buyer, so if you fancy taking over Whirlybird, please get in contact with us, as we would love to see the range continue to be available.
Roger and Dave Evans
PS: We have one last product announcement to make, so expect another e-mail in the next few days

Freightdog862

I spoke to Roger yesterday and placed an order, items are selling fast so if you want anything get your orders in soon.

Colin

NARSES2

Shame when a company goes, but at least it's their decision. Hopefully someone will take the range on.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Freightdog862

Yes, I'm sure it will carry on in some form (bit too much for me to take on unfortunately). Telford won't be the same without buying something from the Whilybird stand.

Colin

Nick

I emailed an order to them on Sunday but no reply yet. Is this normal or should I phone up just in case?

The Wooksta!

I phoned in an order on Saturday, and Roger said that they preferred email orders as he's sufferng from long Vivid.  He does sound like he's had it bad, so I understand why he wants to retire.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Freightdog862

I emailed order on Saturday and he sent me a PayPal invoice the next day. He said he had lots of orders coming in so I'd give him a few more days to catch up.

Colin

Freightdog862

My delivery arrived yesterday. Got a few sets including the Supermarine 545 vac/resin kit which had gone under my radar. quite a comprehensive resin upgrade (including all the metal parts now in black/green resin instead, and resin tailplanes to save sanding your finger tips off getting the vac ones together).

Only slight niggle is the original Maintrack decals, I know it didn't fly but it would have been nice to include a 'What-if' prototype scheme had it lingered on as a trials aircraft.  Quite tempted to order another one, just in case Roger doesn't find a buyer.

Colin   

The Wooksta!

The 545 sounds good. I'd be tempted to grab another.   Finished the Maintrack original, albeit with several Hunter parts (the undercarriage on the photos of the type at Cranfield show a Hunter nose gear certainly).  Highly enjoyable kit.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

The 545? Was that the Super Swift, with the semi-crescent wings and the funny twin-nostril nose intake?

If so that was at Cranfield when I was there doing my HND in the late 60s, and looked pretty advanced at the time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

That's the fella.

The production version would have had an F86 style nose, with the radar nose larger and moved up.  The two seat trainer, the 554, looks even better.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Freightdog862

A quick reminder to order from Whirlybird before the end of January. Not sure what Roger will do with the business, or if he has a buyer. Its likely any remaining stock will go to Aviation Megastore in the Netherlands, as I think they were the only stockist of the range other than buying direct. Not ideal for UK customers as their shipping is pretty steep.

I've just ordered a P.1121 (their last one) and a Supermarine 525, as I've never had that one before.

Colin

Gondor

Quote from: Freightdog862 on January 12, 2022, 10:20:13 AM

I've just ordered a P.1121 (their last one) and a Supermarine 525, as I've never had that one before.

Colin

Well that blows any chance of me buying any more. Just as well I have bought two and have a Maintrack one in the Stash.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Freightdog862

Hopefully someone will step in and take over, sadly not me. Then the kits will be available again, but it might take a while.

Colin