Westland Gazelle +

Started by Scotaidh, October 08, 2021, 01:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I've always thought the Gazelle & Dauphin are almost the perfect helicopters - great shapes, fenestrons (seriously, why haven't all helicopters gone to that, if only for safety?)

Then this morning I had the thought of replacing the Gazelle's power pack with that of the AW 159 Wildcat.  The thought of a Gazelle turnin' & burnin' ala Lynx Mk 8 (the latest version I've seen flying) makes me a bit weak at the knees.

I'd basically cut off a Lynx engine suite off the top of the craft and put it on the top of a Gazelle cabin, keeping the empennage & fenestron.  I've no idea if it'd be a good fit or if fettling would be required - I suspect the latter, if only because Murphy has a keen interest in modelers' efforts - well, mine, anyway.  ;)

I'm not really a helicopter modeler - the blades always come to grief with me.  Has anyone already tried this?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

My son-in-law, who's an ATC at RAF Cosford, told me about how they hooked up external loads under a Gazelle. The ground crew would hand signal the pilot into the approximate place, and then grab hold of the skids and HEAVE the Gazelle into the correct position!  ;D

It was so light that two guys could do it easily.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I used a Mangusta engine.

Aerospatiale Oryx - 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

I have another Airfix Gazelle in the stash which is earmarked to become Blue Thunder.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Should probably have replaced the fenestron with small turbofan while you were at it.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Should have done a lot different. I wasn't happy with that one.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Scotaidh on October 08, 2021, 01:58:49 AM
<...> I had the thought of replacing the Gazelle's power pack with that of the AW 159 Wildcat.  <...>
I'd basically cut off a Lynx engine suite off the top of the craft and put it on the top of a Gazelle cabin, keeping the empennage & fenestron. <...>

Great idea!  :thumbsup: Have thought about something similar, but with a light reconnaissance/attack helicopter in mind, basically swapping the Lynx' side-by-side cockpit and cabin for a slim fuselage with tandem seats. Kinda what the Chinese did: take a Dauphin and bolt on a tandem cockpit.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?