English Electric P.8 - Spec F.155 Lightning development

Started by The Wooksta!, August 12, 2021, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

As mentioned elsewhere on site, I received one of these as a test shot/prototype 3d printed kit from Gannet Scale Models (aka Lost Cosmonauts).

The bits look something like this.

Except there was another set of wings as the first set didn't come out too well.  They were also a bit sticky and after an email conversation with Alistair, he recommended that they should be left in direct sunlight to cure further.  So the got left on a windowsill for a day or two.

Anyway, as mentioned in my Not a Spitfire Blog, I did some clean up work yesterday.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 11, 2021, 03:05:22 PM
I started cleaning up the Gannett kit/prototype/test shot of the English Electric P.8 and it's coming together reasonably well although I can see some more sanding and test fitting before I can think of using any glue. I do know that some bits will need the hot water treatment whilst the wing trailing edge needs rebuilding. I also have to build up the wing root leading edge as Alistair had issues getting it out, but it's taped up now and it looks impressive.

It's a bit odd in that there are some panel lines but not others. For example, the flaps are on the wings but no ailerons. The air brakes are there but not the removable spine that would have allowed access to the upper engine. There's no rudder either, but I have a vague memory of TsrJoe telling me the type would have had an all moving fin - ie the entire fin was the rudder a la TSR2.

I'm happy with it so far - I've been wanting one of these for a good twenty years and the opportunity to build one is simply a dream come true. I've already expressed an interest in a second, possibly a third, as I'd like a more developed version in a late Lightning scheme, in the air defence greys, bigger fin and either more missiles or underwing tanks, plus a scab on belly tank and refuelling probe.  Maybe 5 sqn markings.  The other one I'm tempted with would get VG wings, either some bits I got from Joe (IF I can find them) or the Freightdog ones.

As it goes, it's a superb effort, a big leap in quality over his earlier printed kits and I think Alistair will go from strength to strength. Now, what about an EE P.6 single engined Lightning and a Hawker P.1103?

So, more sanding and hot water.  The wing root leading edge roots that are missing can be taken from the remaining fuselage/wings that were sent. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

Really cool! What type of plastic is it, and what kind of glue are you using?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Wooksta!

It's a plant based resin, apparently and some cheap superglue will probably suffice.

The joints are all butt facing, but the resin seems to be constant thickness so some plastic card stiffeners will be of some assistance.  I know I'll have to use them in one place as the resin snapped - thankfully cleanly - when I was trying to bend it into place.  Ooops!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

An interesting set of landing gear on that one.

Is that like set they proposed for the Swing Wing Lightning?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Think the VG Lightning had the u/c in the wings just moved inboard a bit.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

The VG lightning had it main undercarriage in the non moveing part of the wing

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

AeroplaneDriver

Very interesting.  Have you assembled the landing gear in those shots or is it printed with the gear and doors already in place?

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Wooksta!

Printed in situ.  TBH, I'm not happy with it, because it means you can't be as rough as you would normally be when wrestling something like this together.  That said, the resin does seem to be surprisingly strong.

I have some photos of the cleaned up bits, I just haven't uploaded them yet.

And I have it together.

The build sequence was somewhat different.  I glued the two forward (cockpit) halves together, and then the mid (wing) was joined to the back (tail) in their respective halves (port and starboard), and the two brought together like a normal kit.  However, it wasn't quite aligned, so I struggled a bit and then realised that the problem was the fin, so it got cut off.  Only to take part of the upper fuselage with it.  Cue geet big hole.

The cockpit module went on last, but due to the alignment issues, I could only glue the starboard side, leaving a bit of a gap on the other.

There are quite a few gaps, so my filler of choice will be superglue and baking soda.  I need that to sort out the ailerons before I rescribe them.  The speed I'm going, I'm looking to get the first coat of paint (Halfords) on by Saturday.

Dug through the Lightning decal box and have found several differing sets of markings for the Air Fighting Development Squadron from different manufacturers and have settled on the Modeldecal ones as despite being long OOP, they're not too hard to acquire.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Here is a couple of pictures of the VG Lightening for those wondering about it's undercarriage set up.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Ahah, it retracts inwards rather than outwards.

Thanks for that Mossie.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

So, where do we start?

Hmmn, cleaned up bits.

Some internal bracing

Starboard half resting together

Taped up

With a "standard" Lightning for comparison.  It never did get it's Genies...

All together now.  Note lack of fin and the geet big hole.

Fin and canopy resting in place

Mocked up with scab on belly tank from a Lightning F.1

And with a Lightning F3/F6 fin

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 12, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
Ahah, it retracts inwards rather than outwards.

Thanks for that Mossie.  :thumbsup:

PSSsssstt.... Kit.... that was me that posted the pictures of the VG Lightning :rolleyes: ;D  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!