RAF Light and Dark Mediterranean Blue

Started by NARSES2, June 11, 2021, 06:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

I need both Light and Dark Mediterranean Blue for a project and unfortunately they are not in the stash. Now I have had a good rummage on-line but it's been extremely frustrating to say the least.

Now Xtracolour and Colorcoats do both shades but in enamel. Now enamel can't be posted and there are no shows to go to. So does anyone know of a good match to them in acrylic that would be readily available in the UK ?

Help appreciated or it's a trip up to Hannants at Colindale
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The ModelAir range do brush, but you need about 100 coats.  :banghead:

Don't ask me how I know this...............:(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2021, 09:48:48 AM
The ModelAir range do brush, but you need about 100 coats.  :banghead:

Don't ask me how I know this...............:(
We  know EXACTLY  how you know this!    Just think of what those multiple coats mean to ModelAir profits.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

All depends what you undercoat with?  If I was doing light, I'd undercoat with White.   Dark, grey.  And then there is of course how old the real aircraft is meant to be...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitbasher

Any close Humbrol acrylic matches that you coukd get mail order, Chris?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on June 12, 2021, 03:08:05 AM
Any close Humbrol acrylic matches that you coukd get mail order, Chris?

Not as far as I can see.

I just double checked my old Humbrol Authentics boxes, no luck  :-\

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 11, 2021, 08:34:40 AM
Vallejo do them in their ModelAir range:

Light:
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/scenics-diorama-equipment-vallejo-av-71111

Dark:
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/vallejo-av-71313-model-air-acrylic-paint-dark-mediterranean-blue-17ml
(Out of stock at BNA)

No idea how they brush, though.

Ah, I hadn't looked at Vallejo Air in my trawl I must admit. The article in SAM that has inspired my build lists Vallejo "close matches" so I hadn't included Model Air in my trawl. Some paint companies ranges really throw me , why so many different ones ? I have tried to brush it before and yes it can be fun  :angel: However I might give it a go, so cheers Wombie  :thumbsup:

I have found that I have colorcoats Light Med Blue in the stash (it was hiding at the back of its drawer) and some of the Malta based Blenheim's had Light Med Blue/Extra Dark Sea Grey uppers so maybe my Beaufort will follow suit and be a semi whif rather than Light/Dark Med Blue uppers ?

Thanks for your help lads

zenrat

Vallejo 71111 is listed as USAF Light Blue Matt in the Hobby Color App I use to keep track of my paints.  It doesn't list Light Mediterranean Blue.

However, the blue shades were some that Vallejo changed the names and numbers for after I started buying their paint.  I presume this was done in the interests of accuracy but it didn't help me restocking (i'm more worried about matching to a shade I have already used than accuracy).  I think what I bought originally as RAF Mediterranean Blue became an Intermediate Blue of some description.

This is important to me because when I started building zenrat industries fleet I chose RAF Mediterranean Blue and RAF Azure as the corporate colours...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And they go together very nicely too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 13, 2021, 06:51:43 AM

However, the blue shades were some that Vallejo changed the names and numbers for after I started buying their paint.  I presume this was done in the interests of accuracy but it didn't help me restocking (i'm more worried about matching to a shade I have already used than accuracy).

They obviously took a leaf out of Games Workshop's book  :banghead:

Neat models there mate

zenrat

I like to think that Vallejo rejigged things to make them more accurate rather than to just sell more paint.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

NARSES2

Got what I needed at Hannants in Colindale yesterday  :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help gents