Guess the scale

Started by Weaver, April 18, 2021, 06:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Some pics of a gorgeous model of the IJN Akagi that came across my Twitter feed.

See if you can guess the scale of the model...

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

frank2056

I would have guessed a custom build in a large scale (1/144-1/200) based on the details, like the open cockpits. 1/350 would have been astonishing, but OK, some people are very skilled.

The dead giveaway is the glass edge visible in a couple of the pictures; 1" or so glass would have been greenish, this is pretty clear. So I'm guessing 1/350 or even 1/700, but that would be an amazing level of workmanship.

Rick Lowe

I would guess 1/700 or smaller.  :o

Some people have way too much time on their hands* - and much better eyesight than I.

*Though we don't know how long this took him...

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

rickshaw

1/700.  The Japanese take great delight in doing small things, like carving the Bible on a grain of rice.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

AndrewF

Nick

The quality of the paint and detail on the Zero makes me think it is far smaller than 1/72. The main Akagi kit out there is 1/250 which is about 1m length.

If a madman had done it in 1/700 it would mean this model is 37cm long. Those Zeros would be only 1cm long  :o

zenrat

1/700 based on the thickness of the glass base and the visible white edge on the paper flags.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

If the Zeros are 10 mm long the canopies must be one atom thick....................... :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

im going for 1:700m as well, it dosnt look "busy" enough for ultramegauber detail in 1:300
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

It is indeed 1/700th scale. Good spot those who noticed the glass thickness. :thumbsup:

It's the underside of the flight deck that floors me... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on April 20, 2021, 04:35:35 AM
It is indeed 1/700th scale. Good spot those who noticed the glass thickness. :thumbsup:

It's the underside of the flight deck that floors me... :o

I can't envisage building anything that complex and delicate and then painting it and assembling it onto the hull without destroying it in the process.

:bow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

So how DID he do the Zero's canopies? They must be less than tissue-paper-thick!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

Self made PE, a microscope and borrowing a neurosurgeon to bend and attach them?

scooter

Quote from: frank2056 on April 20, 2021, 07:20:36 AM
Self made PE, a microscope and borrowing a neurosurgeon to bend and attach them?

And a 30 or 34 gauge needle for the white glue.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng