Ford GT90 Pursuit Car

Started by Nick, April 11, 2021, 03:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

For my first entry I've decided that the Ford GT90 will enter police service as a high speed chase car. It boasts a 720hp engine and a top speed of 250mph which makes it great for hunting down those Cannonball Run idiots  :wacko:

I'm using the 1/25 AMT-ERTL SnapFast kit which I have practically completed in a morning. It requires very little glue work, a bit of screwdriver and the rest is pushfit.

The main thing holding me up is painting it. There's a lot of online chat about repeated sand/wash/dry/sand etc and layer upon layer of paint. As it's already white plastic I'm tempted to skip any painting and just put the decals straight on. What do you guys think?

PR19_Kit

Clear (Klear...?) varnish it first, the decals will stick on a lot better.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Some car modellers get carried away trying to replicate the miles deep shine seen on high end supercars, concepts and show cars.  Go outside and look at the finish on the car park on your driveway.  London to a brick says it's not that shiny and might even have a bit of a slight orange peel finish.  That's what you are trying to replicate.
Paint it like you would a model aircraft but give it a gloss or semi gloss finish.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

I'm going to give it a coat of white primer and an overcoat of Appliance White. That should do the trick.

PR19_Kit

You can't beat Appliance White, it's great stuff.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

I shall be painting tomorrow. While the shell dries I will give the engine a coat of black and silver to make it look a little more realistic. Right now it's all navy blue and doesn't look right even under the tinted glass.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2021, 04:16:57 AM
Some car modellers get carried away trying to replicate the miles deep shine seen on high end supercars, concepts and show cars.  Go outside and look at the finish on the car park on your driveway.  London to a brick says it's not that shiny and might even have a bit of a slight orange peel finish.  That's what you are trying to replicate.
Paint it like you would a model aircraft but give it a gloss or semi gloss finish.

Second that. Take a close look at some new real world cars, and you will be shocked how poor and orange peel skin-like their finish is, even on so-called premium cars. I remember a black BMW SUV I saw and thought "so much money and such a crappy product" - I'd have rejected it. The "flawless shiny piece of candy" look of show cars - both real and in model form - takes a lot of work and clear varnish in several polished layers, but it does IMHO not convey a "realistic" impression. For that reason I have left car models in the past without varnish, because the finish of the overall car body paint already looked very convincing (at least to me).

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 14, 2021, 11:45:25 PM
Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2021, 04:16:57 AM

Second that. Take a close look at some new real world cars, and you will be shocked how poor and orange peel skin-like their finish is, even on so-called premium cars. I remember a black BMW SUV I saw and thought "so much money and such a crappy product" - I'd have rejected it. The "flawless shiny piece of candy" look of show cars - both real and in model form - takes a lot of work and clear varnish in several polished layers, but it does IMHO not convey a "realistic" impression. For that reason I have left car models in the past without varnish, because the finish of the overall car body paint already looked very convincing (at least to me).

The phrase used for the really smooth and shiny car models produced for shows by trophy hunters is "dipped in clear".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Nick

The second layer of white primer is on. I raided the kitchen for cocktail sticks so it didn't get stuck to the base of my spray box  ;)

Thinking ahead, I'm going to give it a couple of coats of Gloss Appliance White. Do I apply the decals then or should I cover it with Klear first, then go over the decals again?

PR19_Kit

Depends how shiny it is.

Usually Appliance White dries really gloss, and will take decals right away, but sometimes it ends up a tad orange-peelly, and then it's worth a coat of Klear to smooth it off a bit.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on April 15, 2021, 07:30:02 AM
The second layer of white primer is on. I raided the kitchen for cocktail sticks so it didn't get stuck to the base of my spray box  ;)

Make sure you don't get caught sneaking them back  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 16, 2021, 06:55:20 AM
Quote from: Nick on April 15, 2021, 07:30:02 AM

Make sure you don't get caught sneaking them back  ;)

Too late, I had to ask Mum where she'd moved them to  :rolleyes: :lol:

I had a look this morning and I might have to sand it down a little as the primer has pooled in a couple of spots. Thankfully it's where the door decals will go so it will be hidden.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on April 16, 2021, 09:57:40 AM

I had a look this morning and I might have to sand it down a little as the primer has pooled in a couple of spots. Thankfully it's where the door decals will go so it will be hidden.

Same thing happened with my "Bumblebee", I'm just to heavy handed with the spray can  :-\ Needed sanding and respraying.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Little and light is the watchword with spray cans.

But I'm not a good one to talk, having done exactly the same on numerous occasions. :(

Regards
Kit

Nick

I had a good bout of spraying yesterday and the day before. This GT90 now looks like a US cop car in black and white.

I will need a steady hand tonight for painting the inside of the canopy. This is for the black frame work you can see here:
https://drivetribe.com/p/was-the-ford-gt90-better-than-the-UWyRq9WhTi2c_uNM-1gnPg?iid=F5QMREnzQXeImX1RrsHa1w

After that I just need to:
Paint up the grilles and the engine bay.
Attach the lights.
Stick on the Ford logo and other stickers.
Apply the Texas State Trooper decals.