Britain's Forgotten V-Bomber. The Gloster Vanguard

Started by Ed S, March 17, 2021, 05:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

I built this for the "Scalearama" group build over on BTS.

The RAF's first jet bomber was started during WWII and flew shortly afterward. It was Britain's first 4 engined, swept wing jet bomber. It's career was short as new developments in technology and aerodynamics led to newer and better bombers.

This started life as a 1/48 AMT Gloster Meteor.  I cut off the wings outboard of the engines and made new swept wings. I added some length to the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces. And I modified the engine nacelles to each have two jet engines mounted over and under.  I found an old 1/72 Mosquito canopy and managed to blend this into the fuselage. The result is now a 1/72 model of the Vanguard.

The beginning

In work

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

I like it!  :thumbsup:

Especially the longer wings, and the over-under engines.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Really neat Ed  :thumbsup: You can see it being the "star" of some late 1940's British movie
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

A very believable backstory and a well executed model.  Is it just me, or is there a slight flavour of Short Sperrin in some aspects of this aeroplane?..............possibly that's why it looks so right for the period.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rick Lowe

Nice work!  :thumbsup:

And as others have said, I like the exhaust arrangement.

chrisonord

Very nice Ed, and very fitting for a V bomber contender too :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on March 18, 2021, 09:03:14 AM
  Is it just me, or is there a slight flavour of Short Sperrin in some aspects of this aeroplane?..............possibly that's why it looks so right for the period.

I can see where you are coming from
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr