High altitude Lancaster

Started by The Rat, January 30, 2021, 11:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

I'm sure that this has been thought of before, maybe even modeled, but I haven't seen it, so here's the idea: Inspired by the 14,000 ft increase in altitude offered by the B-17, Avro gets to work on a Lancaster variant that can attain a similar altitude. To my mind (such as it is  ;D) the obvious mod would be the same as what spawned the Lanc from the Manc; another rectangular section, this time outboard of the inboard engines. This obviously increases the span, giving more lift and a lower induced drag due to the higher aspect ratio. A (very) crude bash of a 3-view gives us this:

High altitude lancaster by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Fuselage extensions may also be possible, so long as the increased weight does not compromise the quest for altitude. The supercharger would need to be modified for such an altitude, as the standard Merlin one was calibrated to operate best at 19,000 ft., if my sloppy research is accurate.

Since I'm rather technically challenged, to put it mildly, I'm probably missing some obvious things, so if anyone wants to improve, criticise, laugh (but not too loudly), go ahead.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

My avro  Kittleton is  going to be a high altitude bomber  with 6 Griffon engines, to help overcome  problems with  thin air at altitude  it would  have nitrous oxide tanks in the fuselage  to give the engines a helping hand. Maybe  this could  be used on your Lancaster  Rat?
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

McColm

Shackleton wings could help with Merlin engines , although a  bit of work needs to be done to get the engines to fit on the undersides of the new wings.

PR19_Kit

IIRC The Wooksta did one like this some years ago, in blue and grey.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

How about a fifth engine (as in the prototype Pe-8), mounted in the fuselage over the bomb bay driving a compressor supplying compressed air to the rotor tips wing engines and a pressurised crew capsule?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Ah yes I remember that now  :thumbsup:

We obviously had a nice little "cellar" behind the What If banner as well  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

That's the one I was thinking about, yes.

VERY impressive.  :thumbsup:

And huge with it!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Is that a Avro Vulcan canopy with what looks like a Avro Lancastrian nose?

The Wooksta!

Revell new tool Lancaster, with Lancastrian nose and tail cones.  Deep bomb bay (a Tallboy dropped from 40,000 is going to go through ANYTHING!), underside turret & fairing.  Lincoln rudders.  Wings and engines from a Shacklton.  Yes, Vulcan canopy.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

jcf

Do one up high-altitude Wimpy style, Mk. V type of course as its longer more streamlined
fairing is more attractive. Turbosupercharged Merlins or Hercules, of course.
:thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

Erm, I did, if you click the link in my earlier post...

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

jcf

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 02, 2021, 11:02:16 AM
Erm, I did, if you click the link in my earlier post...

Yes, I saw your post, and I remembered the build, but I'm speaking more explicitly resembling
the high-altitude Wimpy by also using a cylindrical pressure cabin.

kitnut617

The real Avro Type 684, it had a fifth Merlin behind the fuselage scoop. Used for pressurization and turbo-charging the other four engines.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike