Turning railway coaches/carriages into into holiday homes

Started by McColm, January 12, 2021, 02:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

This might not be a whiff in the real world,  converting railway coaches/carriages into holiday homes as someone down in Cornwall started something similar when they bought a disused station and found it had a siding with a four wheeled , six door with 18 windows coach in disrepair. They converted the coach into a spare bedroom and went about buying carriages to restore,  to use as holiday homes. Their best find is a carriage used by Queen Victoria.
I was brought up playing with 00 or ho gauge but I think something like O gauge (1:48 scale) or G gauge  (1:22) although sometimes sold in 1:24 scale would be easier as they are closer to the Dolls House interiors which means I can adapt the furniture and fittings.
As a sideline I would love to create my own version of a military train , either static or from rolling stock. There's several kits available based on real world military trains although using 1/72 or 1/76 scale with 00gauge might pose a few problems .
I'm sure that I can adapt a  'toy military train ' into something more sinister or from the Cold War.

PR19_Kit

The Big Four railway companies did that quite often in the 20s and 30s, and called them Camping Coaches. They were usually parked on sidings near a station which in turn was near a holiday resort. BR carried on with the idea from 1950 or so onwards, and they were pretty popular.

Naturally there were a lot of them down in the South West and I had a holiday in one when I was 9-10 which was at Buckfastliegh. They died out in the 70s when BR 'sectorised' the whole company, but now many of them have been  bought privately and refurbished for use again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2021, 03:36:14 PM
The Big Four railway companies did that quite often in the 20s and 30s, and called them Camping Coaches. They were usually parked on sidings near a station which in turn was near a holiday resort. BR carried on with the idea from 1950 or so onwards, and they were pretty popular.

Naturally there were a lot of them down in the South West and I had a holiday in one when I was 9-10 which was at Buckfastliegh. They died out in the 70s when BR 'sectorised' the whole company, but now many of them have been  bought privately and refurbished for use again.

Then it'd probably be a whiff if it were done here in the States, with long lost US railroads
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2021, 03:36:14 PM

I used to catch a ride on the steam trains from Buckfastleigh  when holidaying down in Devon. The Abbey and Butterfly World are close by. Thanks for the info.

Mossie

There's a pub I pass every day in Hull called Cannon Junction.  It's two railway carriages side by side, the entrance being through the arch of a bridge.  It's been a long while since I last went in, the carriages used to be in their original livery but have since received an arty graffiti style paint job.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cannon+junction+hull&client=ms-android-huawei&prmd=misvn&sxsrf=ALeKk01ug33Wjx0XyjtdyZUTeHvjec6v8A:1610531648572&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj82L_20ZjuAhWOT8AKHYE6AhQQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=360&bih=648&dpr=3
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 13, 2021, 12:32:05 AM

:lol: http://www.ortrander-kulturbahnhof.de/assets/applets/Wagon_rot_neu.mp4

LOTS more space on a German Camping Coach, they're so much wider and taller!  :thumbsup:

There's a place just north of York, right next to the East Coast Main Line, called 'The Sidings', that's a classy restaurant and 'Coachtel' combined.

https://thesidingshotel.co.uk/

The main eating rooms and lounges are in the middle and it has a couple of converted coaches either side setup for sleeping accommodation. One extra coach is done up as a Pullman quality dining coach, and I've eaten in there. It's weird being in a coach that's not moving and watching trains shoot by at over 100 mph right outside the window!  :o

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

There's a restaurant in a converted hospital carriage down at West Bay in Dorset. It's parked in rails outside the old station and by the looks of it serves some very good meals. One for late this summer, I hope.
Trevor told me of this one.

https://www.thestationkitchen.co.uk/

PR19_Kit

Good heavens, what a small world!  :o

I used to have holidays at West Bay too, my parents had a (small...) caravan there and we went by train to that very station. It's VERY small, just one platform and a buffer stop as I recall, and about 25 yards from the beach!

I haven't been back there for years, but it looks like it'd be worth having a look at, once we're allowed to of course.

Regards
Kit

kerick

I would like to convert a retired airliner to a vacation home. Trick is getting it to the place you want to vacation at. Some guy was trying to run a company to do that. Haven't heard anything about it in a long time.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on January 13, 2021, 06:28:01 AM
I would like to convert a retired airliner to a vacation home. Trick is getting it to the place you want to vacation at. Some guy was trying to run a company to do that. Haven't heard anything about it in a long time.

I don't see why you couldn't, they've been used as restaurants and cafes after all.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2021, 06:49:14 AM

I don't see why you couldn't, they've been used as restaurants and cafes after all.
There's been a few failed attempts of converting aircraft into restaurants,  it seems that the novelty wears off after a while or it could be the wrong location. Planes have been converted into homes,  even boats/pleasure craft. I wonder if that would work as a train, remove the tail and wings. Place a few bogies under the fuselage or cut the fuselage and add flexible walkways to connect them. Something narrow bodied;  Caravelle or Comet from the Mach2 range  or smaller.

tigercat

The last Blackburn Beverley is being turned into an Air Bnb

scooter

Quote from: McColm on January 13, 2021, 07:07:46 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on January 13, 2021, 06:49:14 AM

There's been a few failed attempts of converting aircraft into restaurants,  it seems that the novelty wears off after a while or it could be the wrong location. Planes have been converted into homes,  even boats/pleasure craft.

Someone in Mexico turned an old 727 into a bus
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng