Ex-Australian (now polish) F-111 - 1/48 Zhengdefu

Started by wacek85, December 25, 2020, 03:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacek85

In 2002, in Swidnin, 1st Tactical Wing there were classified excercises under codename "Eastern Surprise 2002". After NATO accepted Poland to it's structures, eastern polish border become also eastern border of NATO. It became clear that forces of fast response are more than needed, as soon as posssible. So polish Su-22's trained with british, american, australian, french and german airplanes in order to work out a way to cooperate in case of possible conflict. Su-22 in 2002 was already obsolete so it was important to know it's eventual strenghts in combat.

After whole maneouvers all planes got bact to home bases...except two australian F-111's. Probably their pilots flew home onboard C-17. Why they forgotten their "Pigs" , unknown.
It's possible that airplanes were lost during evening bridge game. Someone had bet too much...

When crew of 1st TW found that they had two airplanes more, they tried to return them. Why this offer wasn't accepted is also unknown. F-111 were fully operational. Airplanes have been repainted and put into service with Su-22.

After this stupid as h...ll story I'd like to thank mods for allowing me to take a part in GB :)

So...I have Zhengdefu kit of FB-111A in 1/48. Because it's so inaccurate then only way to make in usable is to whiff it :)
It has longer wings but this is only change. it rather depicts F-111C.

Cockpit is quite nice. I'm not going to open in, I'll use some spare decals to make it more eye-friendly.

Intakes are a pain to put together. A hint after dryfitting, if you considering buying Zhendefu's F-111: glue intake cone to round outside part first. Then glue it to fuselage and after everyting will be dry and solid slip splitter plate betweeen intake cone and fuselage. This will save you a lot of sanding work and time.

rickshaw

You are aware, aren't you that the RAAF operated F-111Cs and F-111Gs (equivalent to FB-111s)?  They both had significantly longer wings than the F-111As.  Check out the difference.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: rickshaw on December 26, 2020, 05:44:01 PM
You are aware, aren't you that the RAAF operated F-111Cs and F-111Gs (equivalent to FB-111s)?  They both had significantly longer wings than the F-111As.  Check out the difference.

That's what he stated above?  :unsure:

wacek85

Quote from: rickshaw on December 26, 2020, 05:44:01 PM

The wings in this kit ARE longer. As I wrote before:
Quote from: wacek85 on December 25, 2020, 03:09:08 PM
So...I have Zhengdefu kit of FB-111A in 1/48. Because it's so inaccurate then only way to make in usable is to whiff it :)
It has longer wings but this is only change. it rather depicts F-111C.

After very little sanding intakes came out not so bad:

Cockpit after painting is not horrible too:

...but this model will be one big advert of putty:

wacek85

I had a long struggle with wings and top fuselage part fit. With Tamiya Extra Thin it was possible to mount everything but...well...look at second photo - that's how looks fit near wing pivot. I wonder if I should buy another putty tube...Welcome in the world of Zhengdefu!

wacek85

Big, beautiful...and fits like a nightmare. After fourth puttying and sanding session seams started to look better.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 27, 2021, 08:43:54 PM
The RAAF didn't call it the Pig for nothing. ;)

That was more 'cause of it's flying - always down, with it's nose in the weeds, rather than because it was a pig to work on.  Interesting how that piece of mythology is being lost in favour of the USAF name...   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

wacek85

Black radome and light blue bottom are left to paint tommorow. Looks like a variation of SEA camo now.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

wacek85

It's over! This is F-111 "Wizard of Oz". Stupid story in "Finished Models" section in a few minutes, all photos below:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est