One man model 3D fabricated ABS kits from Japan

Started by McColm, December 05, 2020, 02:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I bought the 1/72 Hawker Siddeley  IAF AWACS kit on eBay for less than £50, it doesn't come with instructions instead you need to download them from the Onemanmodel website. He uses stickers instead of decals and you will find burrs on some of the parts. The kit also comes with wire which you need to cut and insert into the parts for strength. He says that you can use ordinary modellers Cement/glue,  I have tried using Revell glue after I had washed all the fabricated parts but found that some parts came apart so I am using superglue which works.
Here's also the HS 748 and the HS 780 in 1/72 & 1/48 scale. C1, C2 and the V.I.P. variants.
Other kits include the Armstrong Whitworth  A.W. 27 Ensign,  Shorts L17 Scyilla,  Saunders Roe Princess flying boat and prototype,  Do-XXl  flying boat  with two  versions , YS-11 Airliner with passenger seats,  YS-11EB with no interior and H.P. L42 E&W.
Onemanmodel is taking pre-orders for the 1/72 Ekranoplan A90 with the open cargo hold.  With future releases of the
1/144 HMA 23 Rigid Airship with bi plane due in February 2021
1/72 & 1/48 scale Deux Ponts due in March 2021
1/72 Kawasaki C.1.
No doubt the Kawasaki EC-1 will follow, but I fancy having a crack at the QSTOL which will depend upon the price.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

I LOVE that AW Ensign of his, and the Princess just beggars belief!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

He does have some  very nice  stuff  and I am  tempted by an Andover

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2020, 04:51:36 AM
I LOVE that AW Ensign of his, and the Princess just beggars belief!  :o

The Ensign does look very good, doesn't it.

I wonder whether the Ensign could have been developed into a General Reconnaissance type for the RAF, akin to the FW200 Condor?  Would probably have needed beefier engines.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

An Ensign maritime reconnaissance aircraft sounds like perfectly good sense to me.  If I had time, budget, space and ability I'd be tempted............and I'm still tempted to write it up as a backstory for someone more adept than me to model.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on December 06, 2020, 06:07:16 AM

The Ensign does look very good, doesn't it.

I wonder whether the Ensign could have been developed into a General Reconnaissance type for the RAF, akin to the FW200 Condor?  Would probably have needed beefier engines.

It was underpowered from the start, and the uprated Mk IIs were a lot better, with over 400 more hp.

It's a BIG aeroplane, much larger than a Lancaster, but they fitted it with those puny AW Tiger engines, crazy. The main wheels are about 6 FEET in dia!  :o

There's a superb vid of the Ensign on the Wiki page, showing the prototype in build, its first flight and a wonderful vignette of one in service at Croydon, which also includes a superb shot of an HP42 landing and one of the two Short Scillas in the background.  :thumbsup:

All very nostalgic. (Not that I ever saw one mind you, but I dearly wish I had)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That's good, I think I will  have a look  into buying one in the new year.  Cheers.

scooter

Quote from: McColm on December 05, 2020, 02:33:09 PM
<snip> He says that you can use ordinary modellers Cement/glue,  I have tried using Revell glue after I had washed all the fabricated parts but found that some parts came apart so I am using superglue which works.

Use Polystyrene/ABS formula cement.  Plastruct Cement works like a charm; I've got a 4x16" piece of ABS (that I was originally going to use as a new switch panel on the bus) I abutted together and liberally doused each seam with cement.  4-5 years later, its all still together.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2020, 06:52:22 AM

It was underpowered from the start, and the uprated Mk IIs were a lot better, with over 400 more hp.

Absolutely, Kit!  And it was the Mk II I was thinking of - even that seemed underpowered.  A quartet of Bristol Hercules would probably been the ideal fit for a GR version.  And a bit more wingspan, eh?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on December 06, 2020, 11:37:15 PM

And a bit more wingspan, eh?

Well, I suppose so, if you must...................  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

If you look further down the list of kits there is a Beverly in 1/72  :o

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....