McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

McD-D actually proposed a tanker version of the MD-11 to the USAF when the production line was running out of civvie orders, but it came to nothing, primarily because of a quite complex CG and cargo weight/volume calculation.

But we don't need to bother about trifling things like that in WhiffWorld  ;D so here's a KMD-11. I haven't decided which air arm will be flying it, or it may even appear in Omega Tanker markings, who knows? This came about because my main builds are either miles away from me right now or I haven't unpacked them since I drove home on Friday. I had to do something, and I found this Eastern Express KLM MD-11 kit in amongst the kitalanche that I was clearing up.

Here's the mandatory kit box pic, and you may be able to figure that it's quite big. Like many eastern bloc kits the parts are packed in flimsy plastic bags which do little to protect them, but they do save any small bits from becoming lost. The KLM decals look good, and they may appear on something else in the future, but as the kit has no windows moulded into it it's ideal as a cargo/tanker conversion, so long as I can knock up a boom and some hose pods.

This is how far I've got in the first 1.5 hrs, one wing and its associated engine assembled and the #2 engine and fin, complete with the rear fuselage glued up. None of the parts have any location pegs, and they all suffer from sprue tags along almost every surface, but they clean up OK. The engines don't fit all that well, and the #2 engine suffers from a YAWNING gap between it and the fin, but I suppose that's what putty's for......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM
in WhiffWorld  ;D so here's a KMD-11. I haven't decided which air arm will be flying it, or it may even appear in Omega Tanker markings, who knows?.
I have an idea to make it even more what-if: build it/her as single-engine airplane tanker! ;)
(not difficult: central tail engine = normal, lateral low engines = discarded, replaced by putty)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 22, 2020, 02:22:19 AM

Not captured by anyone then?

;D ;D ;D

NO way can I think up an even vaguely plausible backstory to suit such a situation.

Quote from: Tophe on November 22, 2020, 02:23:28 AM

I have an idea to make it even more what-if: build it/her as single-engine airplane tanker! ;)
(not difficult: central tail engine = normal, lateral low engines = discarded, replaced by putty)

That would make a good 'Ultra-Whiff', yes, and there'd be no need for the putty under the wings for the #1 and #3 engines as the only locating method for them on this kit are two tiny holes on each side!  :o

But I think my innate sense of aeronautical 'correctness' wouldn't let me do that, as it'd never be able to fly.

[Says he who built the MEGA-long 777-900...................  ;D]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 22, 2020, 03:10:12 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 22, 2020, 02:22:19 AM

Not captured by anyone then?

;D ;D ;D

NO way can I think up an even vaguely plausible backstory to suit such a situation.

I can.   ;)

Although "plausible" may be pushing it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Looking forward to this. 

I would think one of the countries that used the MD-11 for their flag-state civil airlines would be a good fit, as they could contract out some of the training and maintenance. 

Israel, Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, Finland, Japan etc.   Can't see the Swiss needing that big a tanker.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

The KMD-11 was a real proposal, but like most proposals it never got off the drawing board

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Yeah, I mentioned that in the very first line of the thread............

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Just make sure your pilots don't bounce it on landing.  I believe the Fed-Ex pilots called it the "turtle"- rolls onto its back and dies...
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

I'll put a BIG nose weight in it to make sure it lands 'positively'.

Reminds me of my gliding instructor in the late 50s, who, when instructing from the back seat of  an all-metal Blanik said 'Cadet Spackman if it doesn't CLANG when it lands, you're not doing it positively enough.'  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 22, 2020, 04:59:19 AM
Yeah, I mentioned that in the very first line of the thread............

I was just looking at the pictures  ;D

I suppose you considered using a Revell KC-10 as a starting point?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Only as a source for the boom, but I gave mine away to someone on here, Strobez I think, so I'll have to scratchbuild one. It'll be a Whiffed boom of course.  ;D

Plus the KMD-11 will have wing hose pods from a Roden VC10 K4, and perhaps a high flow hose reel on the centre line, like a KC-10 or Tri-Star tanker.

I like the idea of an Israeli one, but I'm thinking hard about an Irish Air Corps example.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

That would make a good 'Ultra-Whiff', yes
But I think my innate sense of aeronautical 'correctness' wouldn't let me do that, as it'd never be able to fly.
No need to make it fly, this would be just to enjoy in shelves: <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on November 22, 2020, 10:28:00 AM
That would make a good 'Ultra-Whiff', yes
No need to make it fly, this would be just to enjoy in shelves: <_<

It could be a ground handling trainer.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Captain Canada

Great idea. Be hard to spot in a lineup with KC-10s.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?