Author Topic: Could a Avro Lancaster bomber have carried the first Atom bomb?  (Read 721 times)

Offline Weaver

• I'm either dumb or evil - you decide.....
  • What-IF SIG
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Has a life outside What-If that is also What If
Re: Could a Avro Lancaster bomber have carried the first Atom bomb?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 06:02:12 pm »
Is that anything like a Heisenberg Compensator? Sounds like a job for Chief O'Brien. Although he is more likely to be running about in a Defiant.

Anyone who gets the references, give yourself a jumja stick.

That'd be funny: get all the real planes that share a name with a sci-fi ship then paint them in the sci-fi ship's colours. So get a Boulton-Paul Defiant, then paint it pale grey with pale blue panels, red stripes and NX-74205 serials... :wacko:
Neophyte: Is Eris true?
Malaclypse the Younger: Everything is true.
Neo: Even false things?
MtY: Even false things are true.
Neo: How can that be?
MtY: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Principia Discordia

Twitter: @hws5mp
www.minds.com: @HaroldWeaverSmith

Offline sideshowbob9

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2020, 02:01:07 am »
Weaver, sounds like a wonderful idea for a group build!

Scooter, isn't that set in the 25 century? That would make him 80? 90? More? I know the pension age keeps going up but damn!

My own interest in that particular universe peters out after 2375 or so....

Back to the Lancaster, the more I think about it, the more I am liking the expendable, radio-controlled idea. If 2-ship reconnaissance flights were made in the weeks leading up to the mission (perhaps taking H2S snaps?) then it might be possible to inure Japanese interceptors to the approach of another pair, especially in their fuel-starved condition.

In addition, perhaps the commander of the BPF could be prevailed upon to spare some Seafires to prowl the ingress/egress lanes. Say 40?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:00:25 am by sideshowbob9 »

Offline scooter

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2020, 06:52:09 pm »

Scooter, isn't that set in the 25 century? That would make him 80? 90? More? I know the pension age keeps going up but damn!

Mea culpa.  I checked the STO Wiki and it's his son that's Chief Engineer of Enterprise F.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

Oh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Offline The Wooksta!

• Slayer of "V" Bombers
  • What-IF SIG
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2020, 02:36:05 am »
I'd imagine that any Lancaster armed with an atomic device would be nigh on identical with a Grand Slam Lancaster - faired over turrets, tail turret down to two guns only and internally lightened (IIRC, the seats were replaced with wicker ones!) as much as possible.  Even stripping off the paint could help, especially with the flash.  Felton's claim that the Lancasters were "black" probably refers to their status rather than camo, as they would have been delivered in the standard Lancaster camouflage.

Tempted to do one from an old tool Airfix kit, but I've enough part started Lancasters to make a choice easier. 

Tiger Force was to have been split into two groups - one in Burma and wearing standard SEAC roundels, the other on Iwo Jima alongside the B-29s with BPF style roundels to avoid friendly fire incidents which the US is all too good at.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Please dial *617 at this time"

"We're the Sweeney, son, and we haven't had any dinner."

"An inaccurate parcel of dog turds!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht

Offline AeroplaneDriver

• Not licensed to do this sort of thing
  • What-IF SIG
  • Busy repainting the Jetstream in Red Arrows colors
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 01:58:44 am »
Just posted on a a UK pilot message board...very timely. 

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/634697-black-lancasters.html
So I got that going for me...which is nice....