The F-104 in RAAF Service

Started by rickshaw, June 21, 2020, 06:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The F-104 in RAAF Service

The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter is an American single-engine, supersonic interceptor aircraft which became widely used as a fighter-bomber during the Cold War. Initially a day fighter, it was developed into an all-weather fighter in the late 1960s. It was originally developed by Lockheed for the United States Air Force (USAF), but was later produced by several other nations, seeing widespread service outside the United States. One of the Century Series of fighter aircraft, it was operated by the air forces of more than a dozen nations from 1958 to 2004.

The F-104 set numerous world records, including for both airspeed and altitude. Its success was marred by the Lockheed bribery scandals, in which Lockheed had given bribes to many foreign political and military figures to secure purchase contracts; this caused political controversy in Europe and Japan.

Australia did not prove immune to the problems of bribery.  In 1960 the RAAF was looking for a new fighter.  Its CA-27 Avon Sabres were looking decidely old in the face of Mach 2 fighters like the F-104 and the MiG21.   The competition was between the Dassault Mirage III, the English Electric Lightnng and the F-104 Starfighter.   Of the three, the money was on either the Mirage or the Lightning winning.   Imagine everyone's surprise when the Starfighter took the prize.  The RAAF ordered 100 aircraft, to be built in Australia.

It was later revealed that bribery had secured the order for Lockheed.  It was discovered 10 years after that Lockheed had paid substantial bribes to the Minister of Defence and the Australian Liberal Party to ensure that the order was given to them.

The RAAF ordered an updated version of the Starfighter, equipping it with an extra hard point per wing and two hard points under the fuselage, to enable to carry up to six AIM-9B Sidewinder missiles.  Because of the short range of the aircraft, it wasn't often to do that though.   In RAAF service they were often seen carrying wingtip tanks, under wing fuel tanks and only two missiles under the wings.  The under fuselage ones were found to be too close to the ground and often subject to foreign object damage but they were occasionally, particularly in the early years, flown.

The aircraft depicted is one from 77 Squadron, bearing its distinctive squadron mascot on the tail consisting of a Magpie and carrying four drop tanks and four Sidewinders.

The Kit
The kit is an Italeri one in 1/72.  Painted by rattle can.  The decals come from the sparesbox.  It was a relatively easy build but proved difficult to paint and apply the decals to.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Nice one Brian.  :thumbsup:

NOW we know why you were asking about F-104 tanks of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 21, 2020, 06:43:20 AM
Nice one Brian.  :thumbsup:

NOW we know why you were asking about F-104 tanks of course.  ;D

And Sidewinders.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Very good.  Better than a Mirage IMO.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ChernayaAkula

Nice one! Can't have enough Starfighters.  :thumbsup: Of course you have to build more of them in the other RAAF schemes.  :mellow:  Including the Hornet greys.
You could get another one, some canards, some white and orange paint and there'd be your entry for the Prototype GB.

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2020, 02:49:22 AM
<...> Better than a Mirage IMO.

"Better than a Mirage" is usually considered outright blasphemy. In this case, though.....  hmmm...... difficult.  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

zenrat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 22, 2020, 12:43:32 PM
Nice one! Can't have enough Starfighters.  :thumbsup: Of course you have to build more of them in the other RAAF schemes...

Well I have it on my list.  Possibly RAN FAA though...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Glenn Gilbertson

chrisonord

Marvellous, the starfighter isn't  one of my favourites, and I am  struggling with what I can do with the one I have,  but you  have made this one  look the part. :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

Makes sense - could easily have happened.  :thumbsup:

Now somebody need to do a Canadian Mirage IIIE....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones