Author Topic: Lockheed Carrier Landing Trainer, a T-33 with a difference -- a Twin Tail.  (Read 788 times)

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs A Life Outside What-If
I do like that Robert  :thumbsup:
Decals my @r$e!

Offline kitnut617

• That's got his tum rumbling already just by the sound of it.
Very nicely done.  Good work.
 :thumbsup:

Are you sure there isn't something different from the RW aircraft?  Just needs to be one little thing so we can call it a whiff and make it eligible for this GB.

Well, yes there is, although I didn't realize that it had to be a whiff. So what I've read is that the aircraft had a arrestor hook installed. Supposedly, a wire cable one (more like a hawser I would have thought) but the photos are inconclusive as to what it looks like, so I found a very basic single shaft hook in the spares box and then made up an attachment point for it. Plus of course, the width of the tail plane is possibly too wide, I just made it the same width as a P-38's as there's no 3-View of it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:11:15 am by kitnut617 »
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Offline kitnut617

Looks great - good build!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't get, though, why if it's a prototype for the USN it has USAF markings on it ... It seems very unlikely to me that the Air Force would willingly do anything for the Navy ...

That's a good question, and I can't answer it. I had the same thoughts. Probably 51-4263 was just handy at the time, the Navy had already got their order of TV-1's so none of those were on the production line. Probably explains why there's no records to be found in the Lockheed and Navy Archives. It didn't even get a special designation number ---- If it wasn't for the fact that Joe Baugher lists it and describes it in his USAF Serial Numbers page, I'd have thought the photos were very cleverly photoshopped
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:16:52 am by kitnut617 »

Offline zenrat

• Currently on double secret probation.
Very nicely done.  Good work.
 :thumbsup:

Are you sure there isn't something different from the RW aircraft?  Just needs to be one little thing so we can call it a whiff and make it eligible for this GB.

Well, yes there is, although I didn't realize that it had to be a whiff. So what I've read is that the aircraft had a arrestor hook installed. Supposedly, a wire cable one (more like a hawser I would have thought) but the photos are inconclusive as to what it looks like, so I found a very basic single shaft hook in the spares box and then made up an attachment point for it. Plus of course, the width of the tail plane is possibly too wide, I just made it the same width as a P-38's as there's no 3-View of it.

To be entered in a GB the item (model, artwork, story, recipe, etc) has to be a what if.  No problem with you posting this in the GB section of the forum even if it was RW (although it could possibly be labelled "inspiration") as it will serve to give the rest of us ideas on ways to modify other things, however to be entered in the poll at the end is must be whiffed.

Which it is given you have fitted a "normal" hook.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

My name is Commander William Riker.  Take me to your women.

Offline NARSES2

• Nick was always on his mind - just ask the Pet Shop Boys
  • Global Moderator
Moved as per request
Decals my @r$e!

Offline kitnut617

Thanks.

Offline Tophe

• my what-if models
And my first thoughts when seeing the photos was -- they used P-38 tail surfaces. And I had this un-named kit of a P-38 which I've decided was going to be used as a donor kit for something else in mind, so the fins were quickly removed before I changed my mind ---
Of course, I would have prefered that your T-33 keeps the booms of the P-38 :-\ ;D, but the T-33 with twin-fin of yours is nice anyway, congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Offline kitnut617

Thanks Tophe 

Offline PR19_Kit

• Closeted Take That fan
  • What-IF SIG
  • Whiffing since the 70s
And my first thoughts when seeing the photos was -- they used P-38 tail surfaces. And I had this un-named kit of a P-38 which I've decided was going to be used as a donor kit for something else in mind, so the fins were quickly removed before I changed my mind ---

Of course, I would have prefered that your T-33 keeps the booms of the P-38 :-\ ;D, but the T-33 with twin-fin of yours is nice anyway, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Just imagine virtual booms there Tophe.  ;D
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Offline chrisonord

• DIDN'T READ THE QUESTION PROPERLY
  • Paint it gloss??......HOW DARE YOU!!!
Very nice Robert  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Offline kitnut617

Thanks Chris

Offline DogfighterZen

• Bmx, music and whif junkie
Very nice work indeed! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Offline kitnut617

Thanks DZ

Offline Tophe

• my what-if models
Just imagine virtual booms there Tophe.  ;D
Well, I tried to "imagine" but I am not a magician! and... the miracle happens: ;D ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Offline dwomby

• Kitbasher
That's terrific.  Discovering its existence then building such a good replica.  Impressive!

David