Jet Avenger

Started by loupgarou, January 14, 2020, 05:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

After the disgraceous failure of the atomic bomb, the Pacific war was becoming eternal, the japanese managed to develop jet fighter planes using the data and drawings obtained form Germany and successfully made the B-29 raids too costly.
They even started to counterattack, regaining ground in the Philippines Islands, harassing the allied forces with night attacks.
The allied were in diffculties, no adequate night fighters were available and the first jets didn't have space, power or autonomy to carry a radar and operator.
As a stopgap, Grumman proposed to the Navy their Avenger, a strong and proven airframe, with a capacious belly, to develop an interim jet night fighter.
It offered enough space for 2 engines, and for radar and operator. In fact it used 2 radars, one for long range search, the other for short range target acquisition.
Owing to doubts about damages to carrier decks from he exhausts, it was used shore based. Obviously the tailwheel was all-metal.

Kit is one of the various russian Frog-spawn.The jet exhaust come from some russian aircraft, they did fit very well in the space. Using the radial engine ring for a jet intake was a natural and logical idea. The longer and more obnoxious work was filling and filing the turret space.

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

:thumbsup: Would certainly suit a sharks mouth

Interesting scenario. I read a  sci-fi novel many, many years ago where the nuclear bomb worked whilst being tested, but if used in anger it failed. Sounds an odd concept but it was an interesting read.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Wow! Great idea! :thumbsup:
I will probably draw similar Mustangs for my CGY P-51 topic, thanks!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

chrisonord

It looks like it could  be the predecessor to the  Douglas skyknight :thumbsup:.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Ingenious, and well thought out, not to mention nicely built too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Thanks for the appreciations, even if the build, as the original kit, is quite crude. And I wanted to finish it at last, so the last steps quite careless.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sandiego89

Fantastic idea and execution. I am a sucker for early jet conversions.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Hobbes

That looks very plausible  :thumbsup:

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

63cpe

Terrific job Loupgarou! Well done!

David aka 63cpe

kitbasher

:thumbsup:

Mmmm, got me thinking.  Could a Fairey Gannet be given the same treatment, or is the fuselage a tad too narrow?  unless twin Vipers were fitted maybe?  Would they provide enough puff (I suppose if they can push an HS/BAe 125 along they should)?  Anyone familiar with the Jet Provost will probably be familiar with the saying 'constant  thrust variable noise'.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

63cpe

Quote:thumbsup:

Mmmm, got me thinking.  Could a Fairey Gannet be given the same treatment, or is the fuselage a tad too narrow?  unless twin Vipers were fitted maybe?  Would they provide enough puff (I suppose if they can push an HS/BAe 125 along they should)?  Anyone familiar with the Jet Provost will probably be familiar with the saying 'constant  thrust variable noise'.

It got me thinking about a half build Helldiver i still got lying aound....maybe kitbash with a bell airacomet?

David aka 63cpe

Captain Canada

Javenger ! Very cool. I like the look of the canopy razorback as well.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

Modeling at its finest!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr