Different Heron (finished page 2)

Started by Tophe, December 18, 2019, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

My 38th Unicraft model: I have received the kit of IAI Eitan/Heron military twin-boom UAV 1/72 ( http://www.unicraft.biz/on/eitan/eitan.htm ), and I plan to transform it, as civilian single-seat glider, probably biplane or/and tandem wing...
Here are the kit contents and the parts I plan to use :

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Oooooh, LOTS of wing on that one!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2019, 10:16:28 AM
Oooooh, sorry Kit, I am going to destroy this huge span that you love, into a very short span little thing. Please accept my apologies. :unsure: :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on December 18, 2019, 10:34:31 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2019, 10:16:28 AM

Oooooh, sorry Kit, I am going to destroy this huge span that you love, into a very short span little thing. Please accept my apologies. :unsure: :-\

One day you'll learn to ADD length to wings Tophe, not cut them down.  ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Maybe yes.

Anyway, after the first drops of glue (and adhesive tape before drying), here is the intended aspect, with the main wing being probably half as biplane, soon.

Rheged

When I read the thread title and author, I assumed that you were about to do something creative with a De Havilland Heron.   This is, as you so rightly say "A Different Heron" but still most interesting!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

Tophe

The first sanding is done, and gluing the lateral rear (into a TT-tail).

Then putty again.

Tophe

The little asymmetry in the wing angles is related to a great design bad model :-\ :unsure: ;D

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on December 22, 2019, 08:15:24 AM
bad model :-\ :unsure: ;D
I do not mean bad kit: it is all my own fault: I am the one that cut the external wings at mid-span, then I sanded and glued the wing tips without checking angles. When I installed the pod with this high wings on the basis, though, the little problem was obvious. While... as I like asymmetry, personally, I will not break it apart to build it again more normally, it is all right for me with this unbalance. <_<

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on December 22, 2019, 07:51:36 PM
Quote from: Tophe on December 22, 2019, 08:15:24 AM
bad model :-\ :unsure: ;D
I do not mean bad kit: it is all my own fault: I am the one that cut the external wings at mid-span, then I sanded and glued the wing tips without checking angles. When I installed the pod with this high wings on the basis, though, the little problem was obvious. While... as I like asymmetry, personally, I will not break it apart to build it again more normally, it is all right for me with this unbalance. <_<

I seem to remember someone, a long time ago, experimenting with a swivel-winged aircraft.  The straight wing pivoted in the middle, with one tip moving forward and the other moving aft - and it worked.  Not well enough to make it into production, I guess, but I remember reading that the thing did fly, and controllably, too. 

Here's a link to the Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_AD-1

As I see it, my friend, you're just continuing their work with a mild-sweep version of their idea.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Thanks! (I had already seen this weird airplane, but I had never checked if there was a wikipedia article about it, and it is nice).
I was away visiting the family for Christmas but I will continue my resin model in the next days, with painting.

Tophe

I have painted the underside. With my reduced span, the kit box seems huge for no reason at all... ;D

Tophe

Then painting the side above:

Completion is scheduled for tomorrow, unless the Earth planet explodes today, alas (for this model).

Captain Canada

Looks good ! Very different !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?