The F-111k

Started by rickshaw, December 10, 2019, 02:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Just came across, purely by chance, an indepth explanation of the RAAF's decision to purchase the F-111C Pig.   It includes details on Page 52 of the F-111K.   If you were using standard F-111A wings to represent the F-111K, it appears you're in error.  This work claims the F-111K was to be fitted operationally with longer F-111B or F-111C wings.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

Thank you for sharing, I have been interested in the RAAF consideration of the B-47 and the Vigilante so this is a great source.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitnut617

I've read that somewhere else, probably in an Air-Britain article. The two that were started though, had the short wings. At least that's what the photos of the two show ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Cool. Thanks for sharing that !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 10, 2019, 08:26:27 AM
I've read that somewhere else, probably in an Air-Britain article. The two that were started though, had the short wings. At least that's what the photos of the two show ----

Apparently the specification changed after the first two were started.  The longer wings allowed greater range/payload to be carried, which for the RAAF was essential (to reach southern China from Butterworth).  Even so, we nearly had the short wings as well and the lightweight landing gear, the heavier/longer gear was only chosen when it was realised that the RAAF's strips were too short for lightweight/shorter gear.

PR19_Kit

There's as many sides to the RAF F-111K's wing length issue as there are stars in the sky....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Building a K right now. I chose the short wing version, but I do have an FB in the stash too, should I decide to do another....

Hang on......They were meant to be fitted with Speys???

This article claims that two aircraft were finished and taken on by the USAF as FB-111s.  Firstly, the well known photo of the 2 K's being built, shows they have short wings. Secondly, they were TF-111s, meaning they were trainers, with dual controls, so I assume not fully operational? Third, I have read many times that they weren't completed, or taken on by the USAF, mainly because they were so different to their aircraft.

I'm not sure I take much out of that article as being fact....

kitnut617

Quote from: Devilfish on January 06, 2020, 01:17:40 AM
Building a K right now. I chose the short wing version, but I do have an FB in the stash too, should I decide to do another....

This article claims that two aircraft were finished and taken on by the USAF as FB-111s.  Firstly, the well known photo of the 2 K's being built, shows they have short wings. Secondly, they were TF-111s, meaning they were trainers, with dual controls, so I assume not fully operational? Third, I have read many times that they weren't completed, or taken on by the USAF, mainly because they were so different to their aircraft.

In an Air-Britain Aeromilitaria  article, it showed a couple of photos of the K's where they had been moved to after the contract was cancelled and awaiting what was to happen to them. One was a TF-111, and both of them were in some sort of build state. One had one wing on it (short one), the other was just the fuselage. The article said that these two were broken up and parts that were compatible with the USAF FB-111 were taken and used on the regular USAF F-111 production line.  From what I can remember of the details in the article, things like the wing box (with the hinges) and the u/c assembly were of the re-enforced type and reused on the FB-111 production line.

Devilfish

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 06, 2020, 06:17:32 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on January 06, 2020, 01:17:40 AM

In an Air-Britain Aeromilitaria  article, it showed a couple of photos of the K's where they had been moved to after the contract was cancelled and awaiting what was to happen to them. One was a TF-111, and both of them were in some sort of build state. One had one wing on it (short one), the other was just the fuselage. The article said that these two were broken up and parts that were compatible with the USAF FB-111 were taken and used on the regular USAF F-111 production line.  From what I can remember of the details in the article, things like the wing box (with the hinges) and the u/c assembly were of the re-enforced type and reused on the FB-111 production line.

A photo like that is on another thread on here, possibly my Merlin GR.3 thread. It can be clearly seen that the one with wings has short ones. I can't believe that the K was to have Speys, as the idea was to get them into service as quickly and cheaply as possible.
Well, I'm building my new one with short wings and TF-30s!

Chris Payne

A couple of interesting pics found on the internet.

Chris.

2014 EKFP Total = 8
2015 EKFP Total = 6
2016 EKFP Total = 2
2017 EKFP Total = 7
2018 EKFP Total = 3

PR19_Kit

IIRC those two are the ONLY known pics of the Ks.

And at that resolution they CLEARLY show that the Ks didn't have the extended FB-111 wings.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Those two pics are what was shown in the Air-Britain article, they're showing where the airframes were placed after being removed from the assembly line and they're awaiting the UK Governments decision to what was going to happen to them. It's worth a note that K2 was to be a trainer ---

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 20, 2020, 12:58:09 AM
IIRC those two are the ONLY known pics of the Ks.

And at that resolution they CLEARLY show that the Ks didn't have the extended FB-111 wings.

That came as a latter decision apparently, Kit.  The K was to have the C's wings eventually.