Firestreak training rounds

Started by chrisonord, July 18, 2019, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I have  been  looking  for pictures of  firestreak missiles  as training/dummy  rounds to sse if they are a different  colour to the service weapons, I  could  have  sworn  I  had seen them in a shade of blue  but I  can't  find  anything anywhere.  They are going on  a weapons training  meteor.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I too can recall blue Firestreaks Chris, but just like you I can't find a single pic to prove it. I also think they didn't have the wings fitted either, just the tail surfaces.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I too can recall a pic ofmid- blue firestreak training rounds , but where it was I have no idea.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

I thought I wasn't  seeing things.  Just  this once  ;D. I shall  paint a  couple up in medium blue,  but will leave the fins on them,  just for  added  wiffness of course.  ;)
Cheers  guys :thumbsup:
Chris.

Mossie

I believe some of the Blue Jay development rounds were blue.  The Cyberhobby Sea Venom has one and the instructions suggest blue.  There were red Red Tops too.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cyber-hobby-5108-havilland-sea-venom-faw21--164262

Operationalv training rounds were mostly white with a blue band, with or without fins.
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/artefact-month/firestreak-air-to-air-missile
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Cheers Mossie,
I am really tempted to get either a sea venom or sea vixen to go with my current  build  theme.
Chris.

kitnut617

Yet when I painted up my Lightning F.3 as the instructions said, the Red Tops were like this.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

Looks right for a Red Top, they differed widely. 
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

I usually paint Red Tops green.   Seems to be most common colouring that I've seen in pictures.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

From my sources, these seem to be the norms:

Firestreak, all over white earlier, all over green later.  A  cap often covers the seeker, usually red, sometimes white or other colours.  The only picture I've ever found of Firestreak without wings is the one I posted above.

Red Top, metal centre bodies, white fins and wings early, green wings and fins late.  Red caps are often in the seekers, red edge protectors on the fins and wings.  Red Top regularly did not have the wings fitted, acquisition rounds for training purposes.

The later green colours only seem to apply to Lightning, probably because it was in service the longest.

chrisonord

Marvellous,
Thankyou for all the help , much appreciated  :thumbsup:
Chris

Gondor

The SR.53 had RED Firestreaks which just helps confuse things  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Mossie

Especially since it was probably still Blue Jay then. :lol:

I've got a pic of one in a book on a Lightning with roundels on the wings and tail.  Seems to be a mock up, the seeker is painted.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on July 20, 2019, 01:26:09 AM

The later green colours only seem to apply to Lightning, probably because it was in service the longest.

I suspect that was because 19 and 92 Sqdns flew those lovely all-over green F2As when they were the on QRA tasking in Germany, and their Firestreaks were green as well. When the Phantoms took over QRA the Lightnings all ended up at Binrbook, in umpteen different schemes, but the RAF didn't bother to repaint the missiles.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 20, 2019, 04:30:32 AM
Especially since it was probably still Blue Jay then. :lol:

I've got a pic of one in a book on a Lightning with roundels on the wings and tail.  Seems to be a mock up, the seeker is painted.

I've seen a fair few pictures in magazines where RAF missiles have had roundels on the fins. From memory the missiles have always been white, no idea of types however as it's not my main period of interest.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.