Red Baron diorama project

Started by maxmwill, July 13, 2019, 12:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

Ever since I saw a water color of the Red Baron with his dog jumping on him after he came back from a flight, I've been wondering how to go about this. There is a red triplane in the background, von Richtofen with his dog, and another pilot. What breed was the dog, and is a figure of that breed, or physically similar available? I've always felt that a diorama like this would be a very attractive one. Small, but attractive.

martinbayer

Here's various links that show what his dog looked like, and there's also an associated figure set in 1:16 available: https://www.google.com/search?q=baron+richthofen+dog&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3xsPPkLPjAhWCY80KHbseCbcQ_AUIESgC&biw=1920&bih=966#imgrc=aUpnejv9Z8xTAM:

A (rather pricey) Fokker Dr.I model kit is available in this scale as well.
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

NARSES2

I'm sure there are some resin 1/32 scale figure sets of WWI pilots with various dogs available which would suit your idea.

Some may even be of Richthoven, but because of various copywrite issues don't actually say it. I'm not absolutely sure what breed Moritz was, the problem is that there has been quite a change in the way a lot of breeds look over the last 100 years or so because of the way they have been bred.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

maxmwill

Well, 1/16 is a tad larger than I prefer, not only because the DR1 is so pricey, but also I'm not of the "The bigger the better" school of thought, but also because I space considerations, so 1/32 is better than 1/16.

Old Wombat

Some of what I've found on a quick search indicates that Moritz (the dog) may be a Plott hound - a breed of which I'd never previously heard.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

He looks (at a quick glance) to be similar to a German Pointer.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 14, 2019, 04:52:42 AM
Some of what I've found on a quick search indicates that Moritz (the dog) may be a Plott hound - a breed of which I'd never previously heard.

I've read something similar and like you have never heard of it.

Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2019, 04:54:32 AM
He looks (at a quick glance) to be similar to a German Pointer.

He's certainly Pointer size and has the look of one in some ways as well. His colouring reminds me of my nieces Great Dane as does the shape of his head, but he's no way big enough.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

maxmwill

Was looking at that 1/32 Red Baron kit, and that would do the trick, so, I'm wondering if I could fake the Fokker with a pic of that in the background, or would a smaller scale DR1, set close enough to sort of appear as it does in the photo I found with Prof Google's help, kinda like a shadow box?

NARSES2

A smaller DR.1 would work in a diorama box as long as you got the perspective right. I've seen many a military diorama where that works wonderfully.

maxmwill

My thought exactly.

A very long time ago, I saw such a diorama using armor of various scales, damaged, and the only way to see it was through a surplus tank periscope. Even though my primary area of interest is aircraft and related, that stuck in my memory as a possible future project. And the tank models weren't all that detailed, but the maker had a smoky atmosphere, so details weren't all that important. Actually, it was a bit spooky to me, and made me thank many deities that I had never enlisted in the Army, "there, but for the grace of God, go I" sort of feeling.

Old Wombat

Manfred & Moritz:

German Shorthaired Pointer:

Plott Hound:

The GSP & Plott Hounds look physically similar but the Plotts are generally brindled, while GSP's are generally white with "liver" mottling.

I'd say Plott hound looks most likely but, if push comes to shove, a model of a GSP painted brindle would work nicely.

zenrat

My Brother in Law had a GSP.  Lovely natured dog if a bit on the depressive side.  Self walking too.  They couldn't keep him inside the yard.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Yeah, I had one, too, but I couldn't spend the time with him he needed exercising, etc., & I took him to the animal shelter. In less than a day he was living on a farm just up & across the road from the shelter & having a great life.

Such a sad-happy memory! :( <_< :-\

NARSES2

Yup, I'd go with Plott Hound as well, although not as well fed as in your pic.  ;) Although that could simply be down to 100 years of selective breeding.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2019, 06:26:40 AM
Yup, I'd go with Plott Hound as well, although not as well fed as in your pic.  ;) Although that could simply be down to 100 years of selective breeding.

Or even simply local variations in the breed, as the picture I used is an American dog.