Junkers Ju-352 Alitalia

Started by TomZ, June 23, 2019, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Junkers Ju-352 Alitalia

After the 1946 armistice the airlines of Europe struggled to rebuild the air routes using ex-military transports. However for the axis powers the old transports like the Ju-52 and SM-82 quickly proved to be too outdated and newer aircraft were needed.

The German Junkers company restarted production of the Junkers Ju-290 and Ju-352 transports to fill the gap until new designs could be produced. The Italian airline Alitalia purchased 28 Junkers Ju-352D aircraft for use on their domestic and European routes. The first of these was delivered in March 1948.

The Ju-352 was used by Alitalia until 1953 when the last one was replaced by the newer Savoia Marchetti SM-128 Struzzo.

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Tophe

This is so perfect: are you sure this is what-if? ;D
(Congratulations, especially if this is a pure dream)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

excellent work, very plausible.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AndrewF

PR19_Kit

The early Alitalia scheme suits that VERY well indeed Tom, good thinking and well built too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Looks half-arsed to me (not the build, the plane), like they had this really good design then just slapped any-old-engines on any-old-how! :-\

The build, on the other hand, looks great! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 25, 2019, 12:48:20 AM
Looks half-arsed to me (not the build, the plane), like they had this really good design then just slapped any-old-engines on any-old-how! :-\

That's probably because it is. (Half-arsed that is)

They designed something called the Ju-252 to follow up the Ju-52. This retained the three engined approach that was succeful on the Ju-52.
The 252 was quite a good aircraft with powerful engines but because of the war situations they then changed it to the 352 with a part wooden construction and far less powerful engines. The 252 was by far a better plane than the 352. In real life 15 252s were built against 50 352s.

TomZ

zenrat

Ju 252 - still ugly.

The stairs lifting the tail up is interesting.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Yeah, looks like it would have been a neat looking twin-engined bird but that conk does her no good whatsoever! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

There are only two 1/72 Ju352 kits I'm aware of.  Mach2 and Airmodel's vacuform.  Is this one of those or another, I'm unaware of?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 25, 2019, 05:45:49 AM
Yeah, looks like it would have been a neat looking twin-engined bird but that conk does her no good whatsoever! :o

Absolutely right, I've always thought that about the 252. Always look like an afterthought  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: rickshaw on June 25, 2019, 05:49:29 AM
There are only two 1/72 Ju352 kits I'm aware of.  Mach2 and Airmodel's vacuform.  Is this one of those or another, I'm unaware of?

This is the 1/144 Anigrand kit.

TomZ