Quad Engine Super Caravelle ****FINISHED****

Started by TheChronicOne, June 19, 2019, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

She certainly is! I haven't tried this paint before. I went down dry it seemed... I could see flakes of metallic stuff floating around in the air. Damn glad I was outside!  It leaves a strange sort of rough finish. I'm not sure if that's the way this is supposed to work or I did something wrong. I'm eager to see what it looks like with gloss over the top then I'll decide whether it's "ok" or not. I just need it to react well with gloss clear so it smooths out and take decals. I can deal with the weird finish because.... I rather like it!

Going to work on this stuff today I think. I'm going to test a small part of this to see if it takes gloss clear....if it does, I'll throw a couple light coats of that on there to smooth out the silver then I can mask it over and start painting the brown color.  I can't WAIT to un mask it at the end and see what it all looks like.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Painting has turned out well! It would seem I need to go back and do the gear wells, however....  woops!!! No biggie, I also need to mask out a space for the wing walks. Already started on that....

Glad that silver line worked out. That's the smallest masking tape I've used to date at 1mm wide. Sure as HELL came in hand... .cutting out that little thin strip from wider tape would be ..... un-fun. 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Been refining things and I've started applying some of the transfers. I need the windows on first, naturally, so I can align everything else but I'm going to stop here. This hasn't exactly been easy... let's just say I've had to break out the Microscale decalfix and of course gettting the things to line up straight is tedious. No matter, it seems to be going well now and I'll pick this back up another day. Quitting while I'm ahead.  Next up I'll be finishing the windows then on to the door outlines and emergency exit outlines.

-Sprues McDuck-

Rick Lowe

Rocking along there, Brad - looks good.  :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Thanks, hoss!! I'm really excited about this one right now... getting the paint knocked out is always a monumental task with these airliners.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

That is looking good Brad  :thumbsup:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 20, 2019, 07:03:55 PM
... getting the paint knocked out is always a monumental task with these airliners.

It certainly is. That's why I admire the builds on the Airliner SIG at UK shows because I know my painting abilities aren't up to it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

It's nutty!! Some of these folks are so good that I've seen pictures of models that have fooled me. My buddy Brad Shinn makes some of the best stuff around...   

Just quickly glancing at his stuff, I found one of Brad's builds that I guarantee I could show to people and 99 out of 100 would never question it.

Brad Shinn

Magnificent!!!! I'd like to be half that good some day.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Getting there. Should be done the next time I work on it. The painting is done and masking removed. I've also attached the gear. Working on gear doors and the windscreen now.

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Is that beige, taupe or mushroom?
;)

It's looking very good.  Hope the glass gives you no sh1t.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

It looks very 'Braniff' already, that's JUST the sort of odd-ball colour they'd have used.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

;D    Thanks folks!!   Back to it tomorrow.  Not exactly sure how to approach the windscreen but I have some ideas and plenty of time to work on it.

*I* call it "tan" but the can said "Khaki".  Not a bad looking color and pairs decently with the black bottom. I could have done something really weird like... robin egg blue or something and I was tempted but I don't even think I have enough gumption as Braniff actually did with some of their colors and combos.   :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

Just want to say I'm so very jealous of your paint skills.  I can't manage anything like that - my few attempts at anything civilian have been outright disasters, paint-wise. 

I've always liked the shape of the Caravelle - I wish it'd had a longer & wider service life.  I'm glad to see you breathing new life into it!  ;)

Braniff had some extremely bold schemes.  As a marketing gimmick it seems to have worked really well - we're talking about them how many years after they went bust?  :)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

If it was such a great marketing gimmick, why did they go bust? :unsure: ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est