De Havil Whif DHW-88 Comwhif

Started by Tophe, June 07, 2019, 10:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

From https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46120.15
Quote from: Tophe on May 25, 2019, 03:39:44 AM
Maybe for father's day I may require the 1/144 DH-88 from http://jacques.chaubet.free.fr/1919/dh88/dh88.htm
It is all in white metal, I have never built such a kit... :unsure: (Jacques Chaubet answered that cyanoacrylide glue like superglue works for that all right). My plan is to build an asymmetric push-pull version, maybe biplane.
I bought it at last without waiting father's day (my wife preferred to offer cloths...), but what I receive today is not compatible with my first project:

No, because no separate engines, tailplanes: all molded in one piece, except propellers, wheels, wire.

I don't know what to do, 2 ways I think:
1/ building it normally, painting all sky blue (first what-if side) and having a black canopy in the nose like a Blanik sailplane (or Bugatti 100). Or it may be a tiny single-seater like the BD-5 but with 2 micro-engines like the Cri-Cri. Maybe having contrarotating propellers in the port side and no propeller in the starboard side.
Or 2/ cutting (with a metal saw?) the complete part, and start again the push-pull asymmetric project.
I don't know yet, probably 1.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

I explain my problem to the kit producer and he said yes, he should have a photo of the parts on his site (like mine above?), and he proposed to send me a free other kit to repair somehow. Ahem, having another one would be good, but my honesty principles forced me to answer "no, thank you, a what-ifer like me can always change his plan to invent differently"...  And with this polite refusal, I feel like I am a hero... :unsure: ;D

Tophe

I will not cut the metal, not buying a special saw for that.
Painting (sky blue) has started on the underside.

Maybe I may try to have a nose wheel instead of a tail wheel, to be more what-if. With the main landing gears not in the holes for them but as far aft (rear) as possible on the engine pods... :unsure:

Tophe

Painting the side above. (The instruction is to wear a mask even for painting...) :unsure:

Tophe

The model is almost finished, but the black pen run out of ink, I will have to add black color to make it allright, but with little light an almost good picture is got:

EDIT: the nosewheel comes from a 1/72 kit, I don't remember which one (in the spare box), maybe P-51 main landing gear.

Tophe

The (very little) model is finished now, the first metal model I ever made:

Tophe

Tophe

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Tophe

Thanks to all!
The positive comment of our Comet expert is especially welcome! ;D