Boulton-Paul P.97c (finished page 3)

Started by Tophe, May 30, 2019, 08:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Today I have ordered a Unicraft resin kit 1/72 of Boulton-Paul "P.79b"
see http://www.unicraft.biz/on/bp79/bp79.htm
I have talked with Igor to know if the code is actually P.79 (I knew this one as P.97) and he confirmed there is a discrepancy between sources: P.79 or P.97.
Anyway I will what-if it further, into a little glider probably: P.97c

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on May 30, 2019, 08:52:16 AM
there is a discrepancy between sources: P.79 or P.97.
I am not Historian at all but I can tell you the search about what the actual P.79 might have been.
One Russian site shows the "bombardirovshik" P.79 very big on 3-views and not twin-boom at all
http://alternathistory.com/proekt-srednego-bombardirovshhika-boulton-paul-p-79-velikobritaniya/
but the word alternathistory may mean this is a dream.
Then in English, the serious http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_boulton_paul_P79.html
says the P.79 was a bomber project that looks like a Douglas B-23 Dragon which was a DC-3 but with a B-17-like fuselage, so not twin-boom night fighter and Igor's kit seems actually the P.97. Anyway I will transform it into the absurd P.97c civilian glider.

Tophe

The Russian/alternate source is confirmed on the serious site Secret Projects:
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/rotary-bomb-bay.4494/#post-107998

So it seems confirmed I will receive the P.97 from Unicraft.
But I may Photopaint a P.79Z, just for fun. ;D

Tophe

Tophe

Update of the project (with even samller wings and V-tail+top):

Tophe

The Putnam book "Boulton-Paul aircraft since 1915" fully confirms my interpretation about P.97 vs P.79 (or this is the wrong source of the misunderstanding), what-if...? ;D

Tophe

Modelling/medical update: I will have surgery again, for lungs now, and my wife required that I sand no more plastic/resin models, so the P.97c project will change somehow. I will have to think about the new way. :unsure: :-\

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on June 06, 2019, 08:27:51 AM
Modelling/medical update: I will have surgery again, for lungs now, and my wife required that I sand no more plastic/resin models, so the P.97c project will change somehow. I will have to think about the new way. :unsure: :-\

Sorry to hear read you're under the weather ... :(  I think, though, your lady wife is right.  I've stayed away from resin kits because I already have asthma & mold allergies, and I don't want to take any chances.  :) 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

With those sorts of lung problems a good mask is an essential.

I've been asthmatic since I was 4yrs old and I've always used a mask when filing or sanding resin, sometimes for styrene too. And while spraying as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks for your support while my problem is not asthma but metastasis (coming from scapula before to lung now)... :unsure:
But it is possible to build what-if differently without PSR, I will try. <_<

Tophe

Here are 2 new versions of the P.97c model project:

The main problem for me (bad modeller, sorry) is that, this time, I will have to use the thermoformed canopy. With white glue?

NARSES2

I hope the surgery goes ok Tophe, and your lady wife is right. Listen to her  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Thanks.
The kit arrived today:

NARSES2

That's quite a nice looking machine  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Thanks (to have the same taste as me, not only the same first name, Chris...)

Here are the parts I plan to use:

(or I may use the propellers and spinners for a push-pull layout, I will see)