Author Topic: Area 88 1/144: Kanzaki Returns! (CH-53 Sea Stallion)  (Read 70 times)

Offline strobez

• Full scale Arrow in basement
  • "Oh, that shouldn't be too hard to do..."
Area 88 1/144: Kanzaki Returns! (CH-53 Sea Stallion)
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:42:58 pm »
One more project to update.  While I was waiting patiently for the CH-54 Tarhe to show up on order, I decided to take my frustrations out on a CH-53 as a "warm up" project.

In the Area 88 manga the CH-53 plays a bit part, but there's a memorable scene where Kanzaki and Shin meet face-to-face in Japan and Kanzaki announces that he's returning to Asran... and then a CH-53 flies in with the sun at its back and picks up Kanzaki and carries him off while Shin can only stare as the wind whips around him.  Not a huge scene, but it's kind of marking the "beginning of the end" of the story.  Besides, who cares, I get to build a helicopter!

Ahh... the classic Revell blue box.  I don't see many of these in my stash for some reason.

Nice clean sprues, as I expected.

Main pieces dry fit to check the DC motor is going to fit... looks like we're go!

Started with the rotor so we can test fire the motor... otherwise there's no point moving to the next step.

Rotor painted and assembled to the dry fit shell... will it spin?

Contact! We have spin!

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with interior paint... but I am.

After a bit of surgery, the DC motor fits... barely.  Why is it always barely?

Cockpit painted and assembled. Nice to see the A.G.F hires paraplegic amputees to fly their helicopters... ;)

All button up, and yes, I checked to make sure the rotor still goes ?round and round. :)

As always... putty.

Paint on, but I'm not sure what to do about some of the visible seams... sand them, and the surrounding details, out of existence? Or just agree to disagree?

And... just to prove the rotor does spin - https://youtu.be/QtX8VgvQKT0

Thanks!

Greg

Offline zenrat

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
  • Currently on double secret probation.
Re: Area 88 1/144: Kanzaki Returns! (CH-53 Sea Stallion)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:59:43 am »
Box art appears to show the CH-53-800 stretched version.

Not one of Revell's best efforts.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.