C-130, Pegasus vectored thrust engined *finished + more pictures*

Started by sandiego89, March 10, 2019, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

The Rolls Royce Pegasus line is up and running!

Popping engines out of the mold. Some clean up will be required.

The compressor blades came through.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

JayBee

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 18, 2019, 02:26:40 PM
The Rolls Royce Pegasus line is up and running!

Popping engines out of the mold. Some clean up will be required.

The compressor blades came through.   

One does wonder why only FIVE!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

kitnut617

Nice job on those nacelles   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's the casting stuff I use, only problem is I'm having difficulties getting resupplies of it. The LMS where I get it from tells me they have problems getting it over the border ----   :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Thanks everyone! first time I have molded a complex shape. 

Making the master for the rear of the nacelle.  Was unsure how to best mount the engines, directly underneath the wing or more towards the front in place of the turboprops, but to maintain center of lift/center of thrust/center of gravity considerations to allow super STOL, a podded engine, with barely a pylon seems to work.

Harrier GR3 providing the rear of the nacelle.  Putty and bondo.

Meanwhile, the early RAF tan had to go.  Primer on. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

kitnut617

When I was working out where the engines would go on my STOVL Canberra, I figured that when the nozzles are swiveled downwards for vertical take-off, the center of the four nozzles* should be in line with the load cg on the aircraft.

* the center being where two lines cross, one line running from front-right nozzle to rear-left, the other line running from front-left to rear-right.

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 19, 2019, 03:33:50 PM
When I was working out where the engines would go on my STOVL Canberra, I figured that when the nozzles are swiveled downwards for vertical take-off, the center of the four nozzles* should be in line with the load cg on the aircraft.

* the center being where two lines cross, one line running from front-right nozzle to rear-left, the other line running from front-left to rear-right.

Thanks kitnut, I had the same thoughts with the center of thrust needing to go through the center of gravity. I am toying with mounting the outer engines a bit further back to give a wider spacing for the 16! Nozzles, but that may look odd. Pitch control will need to be robust...
Dave "Sandiego89"

strobez

Wow.  That's great work.  I love the resin casting aspect of it.  In my experience you've probably hit the sweet spot in terms of the size.  I've tried very small moulds and they're a real pain to work with, but something this size should work very well indeed.  I'm loving where this is going.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Do the "cold" (front) nozzles produce the same thrust as the "hot" (rear) ones?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 20, 2019, 02:25:04 AM

I reckon they must do, in lbs thrust anyway, 'cos the Harrier's nozzles are positioned an equal distance apart from the CG.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 20, 2019, 05:43:12 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 20, 2019, 02:25:04 AM

I reckon they must do, in lbs thrust anyway, 'cos the Harrier's nozzles are positioned an equal distance apart from the CG.

I've read somewhere (can't remember where though) that they do on the Harrier. I might have asked someone who was in the know too --- but it worked out very well for my project because a lot of things suddenly started to fall in place technically with the build after I discovered that.

zenrat

Thanks guys.  Good to know even if it's not vital information for my Rotodyne 2.0 as in it's case the cold air from the bypass is piped up to the rotor tips
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Back at it, was out of town for a week and had to reorder a new batch of two part resin.  New resin is white when cured. 

Made a mold for the aft part of the engine nacelles. 

As the resin set put a small screw into the resin to help pull the nacelle out of the mold.  Helped a lot.

Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 10, 2019, 03:38:46 PM
and had to reorder a new batch of two part resin.

For some reason, getting re-supplies of Aluminite is very hard up here in Canada.