Flying Jar (Future Boy Conan)

Started by strobez, March 01, 2019, 04:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

This seems like the perfect opportunity to get another of my planned Hayao Miyazaki (Studio Ghibli) builds... off the ground. ;)

From one of Miyazaki's earliest projects, the animated television series (circa 1978), Future Boy Conan... I bring you, Dr. Lao's Flying Jar!

and even a bit of the technical specs...

Coming soon!
Thanks!

Greg

Weaver

Nice one - inspired, methinks, by the bottle suit from the Disney/Von Braun concepts of the 1950s:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

And there's a Falco there in the background.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

There is indeed a Falco in the background.  I have that kit, but I'm saving it for a rainy day.

As for this build, it seems to have taken on a mind of its own.  I was all set to start, but then I went and got an idea... one which, if it succeeds, will dwarf all the other projects I've attempted before.

I'm still doing a bit of research, but this one will be epic... wether that's a success or a fail though remains to be seen.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Alrighty... we're committed now...
Thanks!

Greg

kerick

He found the spare flux capacitor...... :o
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Quote from: kerick on March 07, 2019, 07:34:29 AM
He found the spare flux capacitor...... :o

I thought I'd hidden the only one in existence....   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

strobez

Alright, so here we go... I've got a used party "popper" cone, some clear plastic tubing, the engine off an Academy 1/72 F-8E, some plastic sheets and a domahicky that I think came in a long-forgotten Gundam kit...

Cut the cone to length... oh, yeah, and I've got some Tamiya racing car tires...

I need to thicken up the cone, so some CA glue, and some plastic sheets to the rescue.

And of course the putty... lots of putty!

Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: strobez on March 07, 2019, 09:16:34 PM

....and a domahicky that I think came in a long-forgotten Gundam kit...

You just can't get by without a domahicky or two in this game.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

Ok... let's dump a major update on this GB project...

I was out with the family a couple of weeks ago and ran cross this noise maker things... I see lots of good shapes there, so I instantly scrapped my previous work and started over...

Just a little bit of slicing and then some rearranging...

Yes. That's a MUCH better shape.

The top part is added, and now comes more putty. This is shaping up much better now!

Now to make the bottom... here's what we need.

A bit of heated plastic and a smash moulding later...

A few more slices and some more reassembling.

Now we've got the main parts... and a few extras.

Let's try a dry fit...

It's a good thing I did a dry fit. It seems like I miscalculated and the main body is too long? Uh-oh.  Luckily too long is much more easily fixed than too short.

Ok... I give up... time for plan C... or...D...  I've tried every possibly way I can think of to heat mould the windscreen.  NOTHING has worked for me.  I tried tubes of varying sizes, I tried plastic sheets and I tried plastic bottles and cups.  They all worked partially, but nothing worked properly.  The plastic expanded when I wanted it to shrink and form... the plastic turned white and cloudy when I needed clear... and the couple of times I thought I might've stretched out the overlaps enough for it to be useable, I couldn't free the plug without damaging the form.  Days of frustration and burned fingers...

So I finally settled on Plan.. G... get a clear ring from the fashion market.  Seoul has a great wholesale fashion market, every kind of swatch of cloth, buckle, button, clasp and ribbon you can imagine. I had to sift through a great deal of lace and glitter, but I found one that was the right size and shape.  I was hoping to detail out the cockpit, but there's no real point with a clear "canopy" this thick.  Oh, well, it's probably for the best since the magnets arrived and they're bigger than I thought. I may have to do some hiding.

Anyway, moving right along, let's unpack and sort some electronics from China.  The instructions are... limited.

After carefully going through the parts list, I think I found everything and soldered them all in the right spots.  Hopefully we'll have an electromagnet at the end of this...

This is going to be epic... a success or a fail... one way or another.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thanks!

Greg

kerick

Good Lord! He's built his own flux capacitor!   :wacko:

This will be extremely interesting!
Tophe the Wise