Belgian Tornado

Started by TallEng, February 10, 2019, 09:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

I thought I'd join in with a Tornado build as well :thumbsup:
Hopefully as this is a theme build I'll get this one finished?
Anyway, my first thoughts were for a Canadian Tornado as per Weavers Canadian topic,
See here http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,46135.0.html
but having checked my decal stash found that I had very little in the way of Canadian decals
that would fit a Tornado, So perusing my Tornado Development story (Francis Mason) I hit upon
the idea of using one of the original members of the MRCA development group, namely Belgium
Who pulled out early on for various reasons.
The build so far:

IMG_0152 by , on Flickr

IMG_E0150 by , on Flickr

It is of course one of the many boxing's of the Revell Tornado IDS, which so far is going together quite well,
as you can see three out of four pylons can swivel at the moment, (one did break during assembly :banghead:) and the wobbly tailplanes are on;
how much of them will operate as intended by Revell at the end of the build will be another thing entirely ;D

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TallEng

Paint has been applied :thumbsup:

tornado by , on Flickr

As I'm following Modeldecal instructions, which I believe are (were?) widely regarded as some of the best in the business :angel:
It should be a very accurate rendition of the colour scheme as applied to the first Belgian Tornado's :thumbsup:
You can also see, its now down to one operating pylon and its lost a taileron. Not to worry
nothing that a bit of glue can't fix ;D
Apart from the bits (not surprisingly) knocked off by me I'm enjoying the build.
more sometime later.
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

McColm

TallEng

Quote from: McColm on February 14, 2019, 11:06:10 PM
What scale is that?

It's the 1/72 Revell Tornado, first released in 1998!!!

Regards
Keith

kitbasher

Quote from: TallEng on February 15, 2019, 04:19:54 AM
What scale is that?

Regards
Keith

Is that the one also kitted by Italeri?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Spey_Phantom

i will be following this build closely  :mellow:
i was thinking the same idea, guess i will have to go Dutch now  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Mossie

Tornado'll look good in those colours. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Nils on February 15, 2019, 05:17:15 AM
i will be following this build closely  :mellow:
i was thinking the same idea, guess i will have to go Dutch now  ;D

How about one of the later Alpha Jet schemes instead, or maybe a funky special/display scheme that Belgium are famous for?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TallEng on February 14, 2019, 12:59:32 PM
You can also see, its now down to one operating pylon and its lost a taileron. Not to worry

A standard feature of these kits. I really want to see a Tornado kit that does NOT come with these extras...  :-\

I like the concept and the paint scheme! Will certainly look nice in that three-tone wraparound scheme.  :thumbsup:

If it goes together...  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitbasher on February 15, 2019, 05:08:25 AM
Quote from: TallEng on February 15, 2019, 04:19:54 AM
What scale is that?

Regards
Keith

Is that the one also kitted by Italeri?

No. It's rather the other way around: the Italeri mold was also distributed by Revell (and Tamiya, too?), and AFAIK the Revell 1998 mold has just be released under the Revell label. Best way to tell the kits apart is the separate cockpit section of the Revell kit (split vertically).