Tornado Themed Build?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 10, 2019, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 13, 2019, 06:02:54 PM
Canada, Holland and Belgium were all in on the project at the beginning.

When I wrote that Canada was the 'natural' what-if user, I was talking about the ADV specifically. The Netherlands and Begium would probably only have been interested in the IDS version: their fighter requirements were better served by the F-16 or F-18. The Canadians might have been interested in the IDS if they were looking to renew their committment to providing part of the NATO tactical nuclear strike force.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

AeroplaneDriver

For anyone looking for more inspiration, one of the articles I read while researching my USAF WW build mentioned that South Korea was potentially interested in a SEAD Tornado around the same time as the USAF...

And one more idea to toss out that I love is one that I am so disappointed I didn't see in real life last year....a Tornado painted in WWI colors for the RAF 100 celebrations.  Someone missed the boat on that one.  Would have been gorgeous in real life. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitbasher

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 13, 2019, 03:07:13 PM
Oh that Dambuster is nice!! 

As for an F.3, see my earlier reply...unopened Italeri 1/48 F.3 available for a swap here!  Mostly interested in other 1/48 Allied/NATO types, but starting to look at armor too.

A kind offer sir, but I'm a dyed in the wool 1/72er.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Right R.A.F. retirement date is 31/3/19

I'll set the necessary boards up shortly

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

You'll have to wait a little bit I'm afraid lads.

I've managed to screw the setting up of the boards and Geoff/Thorvic will have to bail me out.

Apologies but I shouldn't have tried to do it while my mind was on other things.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Lord_Voyager

Being a wee bit of a newby to GB's, how does one actually start and record said GB?

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on January 14, 2019, 08:33:12 AM
Being a wee bit of a newby to GB's, how does one actually start and record said GB?

As a Themed Build this is a bit more informal than a full on Group Build.  Start anytime, it's open now.  Shooting for an end date coinciding with the last RAF Tornado flight, but again, it's flexible so end of March is probably the real end. 

Once Chris sets the board up for it, just jump in with a thread for your build. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on January 14, 2019, 08:33:12 AM

It's exactly as Aeroplane Driver says. Theme Builds do not have such tight rules as those which tend to apply to the Group Builds.

So as far as this one is concerned you can start your build now and aim to have it finished by the 31st March.

NARSES2

Gentlemen

I don't want my "cock up" to delay the start of this Theme Build so can I suggest that if you want to start your builds that you put them in the normal Current and Finished Projects - Aircraft thread and I will move them over to the appropriate section once Geoff/Thorvic has dug me out of my hole.

Can I apologise for the problems, it's purely down to me.

NARSES2

Right some very quick and dirty "rules" for this TB.

This TB concerns the Panavia Tornado in all its forms, so as long as you start with a Panavia Tornado you can do what you want with it.

To run from Now until 31/3/19. If Tornado's retirement is delayed then the build may be extended.

There will be no moderators as such. I will keep a quiet eye on the thread and any questions can be answered by a consensus of the members taking part.

That's it, short and I hope simple.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on January 13, 2019, 01:51:26 PM

EDIT: found it! https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038451-617sqn-tornado-whiff/.  I'd have done it a bit differently but there you go, already been done.

Plan B it is then!  Just need an F3 from somewhere - they seem difficult to find and I#'m no going to shell out a fortune on one!

That one on BM looks like the one I saw at Lossie, but that had it's demarcation line right at the bottom of the fuselage.

There's a couple of Airfix F3s going on eBay at the mo, for less than £10 bid price so far. But there's also some Italeri and Hasegawa ones going for RIDICULOUS prices!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AS.12

A few more ideas, some building on Weaver's comments:

Jordan was mulling 10 each of ADV and IDS
Kuwait was interested in the mid-80s but got themselves invaded and switched to US hardware
Oman ordered eight ADV but later rejigged the order to Hawks
Greece was a prospect after a tech-transfer spat with us.gov that put the F-16 purchase in jeopardy
Malaysia was a target customer for the ECR, four, with eight or 10 cheaper IDS to fill-out a squadron
Thailand was considering 12 IDS around 1990 to go with their zoo of aircraft types
Turkey did order 40 IDS but lapsed

Some not-real-World ideas:
Algeria, in before Su-24
Finland instead of Hornet
Morocco
Portugal, second-hand IDS from Germany
Singapore
Swiss IDS
Swedish IDS
Taiwan maritime scheme  :wub:

Dizzyfugu

I'd be in, too. I think I have an Italeri 1:72 Tornado IDS somewhere in the stash - either for a simple whif operator (Canada, India, Oman...?), or for some light cosmetic changes and "something different".

zenrat

I'm bidding on an Airfix 1/72 MRCA on the Bay of Evil.  I built one as a youth so it has memories for me (mostly of fingerprints in Airfix Signal Red gloss enamel that took forever to dry).

If I get it i'll join in the fun.  Non-swinging wings and a bigger fin might be in order.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..