Tornado Themed Build?

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 10, 2019, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on January 11, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
Great idea.  I'd join in but 40 days would be too short for me.  Three months and I'd be in.

Yea  :rolleyes: and I'd still end up moving the thread  ;) ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 11, 2019, 01:21:02 PM
What would you guys think of starting immediately (I too just started a Tornado) and running up to the RAF's Tornado retirement date, planned for late March. Gives a bit over 2 months.

OK I'll set the threads up early next week, probably Tuesday, as I'm a little busy at the moment.

As far as I know her retirement date is end March ? Anyone know the official one as I've seen a couple of dates mentioned in the press ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 12, 2019, 02:53:43 AM
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 11, 2019, 01:21:02 PM
What would you guys think of starting immediately (I too just started a Tornado) and running up to the RAF's Tornado retirement date, planned for late March. Gives a bit over 2 months.

OK I'll set the threads up early next week, probably Tuesday, as I'm a little busy at the moment.

As far as I know her retirement date is end March ? Anyone know the official one as I've seen a couple of dates mentioned in the press ?

I haven't seen an official date either.  We could just make it run until March 31, and extend it if the Tornado hasn't retired by then.  Thanks Chris!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitbasher

Right then, help please.  Plan A or Plan B, that is the question.  To help me out can someone confirm that I correctly recall seeing on the forum a few years back a 617 Sqn GR4 commemorative scheme build?  Dark Earth/Dark Green top night/black bottoms?

If so then it looks like Plan I need an F3!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

I've never seen a GR.4 in that scheme but it sounds great!!!! 

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitbasher on January 13, 2019, 08:44:22 AM

I have an Italeri 1/48 F.3 still in shrink wrap.  Open to trade offers in 1/48!

kitnut617

Right then, help please.  Plan A or Plan B, that is the question.  To help me out can someone confirm that I correctly recall seeing on the forum a few years back a 617 Sqn GR4 commemorative scheme build?  Dark Earth/Dark Green top night/black bottoms?

Are you sure you're not thinking of this aircraft

and then there's this one too

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

That rings a bell with me, but it was an RW aircraft IIRC.

I was at Lossie for 617's 50th anniversary celebrations and they were converting to GR4s at the time, but at least one of their GR1s was painted up in that scheme I think. I've just spent a while Googling it but no joy as all the pics are either current 70th anniversary schemes or 50th anniversary schemes for sinking the Tirpitz.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I like the idea of a Canadian version with big drop tanks patrolling the tundra looking for Bears. Probably would have been a better choice than F-18s. I'll need to research the paint colors used on Voodoos, Hornets and Tornadoes
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

HMMMMMM.....    perhaps a USN version to take over where the SLUFF left off....  (OR WHATEVER)    hmmmmmm   ....   :wacko:

Oklahoma ANG? We have tons of Tornadoes here, what's a few more?

OR....     A kitbash with the American B-45.  ;D ;) ;) ;)   
-Sprues McDuck-

kitbasher

Kit and Kitnut617 thanks but nope, not thinking of any of those, nor the 'bomber Command' Hawk.

Deffo a whiffed Tonka.  There were 'real' schemes but were around the current grey scheme (fin markings, basically).

Have Googled but to no avail.

EDIT: found it! https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235038451-617sqn-tornado-whiff/.  I'd have done it a bit differently but there you go, already been done.

Plan B it is then!  Just need an F3 from somewhere - they seem difficult to find and I#'m no going to shell out a fortune on one!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

Oh that Dambuster is nice!! 

As for an F.3, see my earlier reply...unopened Italeri 1/48 F.3 available for a swap here!  Mostly interested in other 1/48 Allied/NATO types, but starting to look at armor too. 

The Wooksta!

I'm in but I'm going to be delightfully subversive...

Note to self:  start digging in the wardrobe...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on January 13, 2019, 01:08:51 PM
I like the idea of a Canadian version with big drop tanks patrolling the tundra looking for Bears. Probably would have been a better choice than F-18s. I'll need to research the paint colors used on Voodoos, Hornets and Tornadoes

It's probably the most 'natural' alternative application for it. Very similar to the RAF mission of protecting NATO navies in the North Atlantic from the predations of Backfires. Other than America itself, I can't think of anywhere else that had (in the timeframe of the F.3) an exclusively long-range, high-intensity threat.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Canada, Holland and Belgium were all in on the project at the beginning.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic