Author Topic: The Embraer KC-390 or something similar  (Read 317 times)

Offline McColm

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
The Embraer KC-390 or something similar
« on: January 05, 2019, 03:08:46 am »
There a few Embraer KC-390 aircraft kits in the smaller scales, with rumors of a 1/144 resin model soon to be released in 2019.
However I can't find any information on a 1/72 plastic kit, the closest is a paper version.
Kitbashing is another option using the Revell Airbus A400M Atlas/Grizzly as a donor, but a lot of reshaping would be needed. Unless you grafted the Airfix BAe Nimrod front cockpit area to front of the Atlas.
 Which leads me neatly to a jet powered C-130 or C-160. Turbofan options are available but using the engines from the B-52 makes perfect sense to me for both kits.
 The choice of a shoulder mounted wing donor kit is limited but not impossible for the seasoned Whiffer.

Offline Scotaidh

• Scratchbuilds the entire model
Re: The Embraer KC-390 or something similar
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 03:51:14 am »
There a few Embraer KC-390 aircraft kits in the smaller scales, with rumors of a 1/144 resin model soon to be released in 2019.
However I can't find any information on a 1/72 plastic kit, the closest is a paper version.
Kitbashing is another option using the Revell Airbus A400M Atlas/Grizzly as a donor, but a lot of reshaping would be needed. Unless you grafted the Airfix BAe Nimrod front cockpit area to front of the Atlas.
 Which leads me neatly to a jet powered C-130 or C-160. Turbofan options are available but using the engines from the B-52 makes perfect sense to me for both kits.
 The choice of a shoulder mounted wing donor kit is limited but not impossible for the seasoned Whiffer.

What about just deleting two engines from a C-17?
"We're all here because we're not all there."

Offline rickshaw

• Needs A Life Outside What-If
Re: The Embraer KC-390 or something similar
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 04:31:37 am »
I scratchbuilt one, back in 2013:

It was harder than you might think.  It took two 1/100 scale Transall kits and 1/144 747 wings a tube and a half of putty and an awful lot of carving and sanding.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.