Next Build on Deck: Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, September 13, 2018, 01:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Getting a start on my next build while waiting to see how Hurricane Florence is going to impact the weekend. 

Nice kit so far.  Detail a little soft in some areas...definitely not Tamigawa level, but still very nice in most areas.  Plastic is typically soft for Airfix. 

So far the cockpit is painted and assembled.  I like the separate sidewall detail.  Looks much better than molded into the fuselage sides.  Kit instrument decals are nice with some instruments in clusters of 2-5 and others printed individually. 

Harness is Eduard USAAF, so not accurate for a Sea Fury, but I don't care.  Looks better than what I could make. 

Torn on the final scheme.  I really like the kit markings for a Korean Era RN Sea Fury so it may be OOB, but I've also always wanted to build a USMC Sea Fury...so we'll see. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Army of One

I love the RN scheme.....but would love to see your take on a USMC one.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Army of One on September 14, 2018, 09:43:25 AM

Indeed. Overall Gloss Sea Blue ?

Interesting to see how this goes as I may well be drawn to the Dark Side of 1/48 with this kit. Love the Sea Fury  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 15, 2018, 02:33:28 AM
Quote from: Army of One on September 14, 2018, 09:43:25 AM

Indeed. Overall Gloss Sea Blue ?

Interesting to see how this goes as I may well be drawn to the Dark Side of 1/48 with this kit. Love the Sea Fury  :wub:

No! Don't do it.  Resist, resist.  Build a Trumpeter 1/72.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

Rainy hurricane days are good days for modeling. 

Making good progress.  Pretty good fit on most parts...some of the joins on the four part engine cowling aren't the best ever, but then again the join lines are at panel lines so a perfect join isn't needed, or even wanted.  I'd put it a level below Tamigawa quality overall, but still a really nice kit. 

One thing I love about it is the way Airfix included separate gear doors for retracted or extended gear.  Mine will be on it's gear with the wings folded, but the one piece gear doors for the inflight build are a PERFECT fit for the gear bays making for super easy masking of the gear bays!  The fit is so good that when they are just pressed in it's a bit of a challenge to get them out.  I had to cut off the gear door retraction struts that are molded into the gear bay assembly to get the doors on, but they will glue back easily enough. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 15, 2018, 06:27:47 AM

Or pray that Airfix see sense and pantograph it down to 1/72................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Ended up going with RW OOB for this one.  Decalling will start Thursday. 

strobez

Oh, this is shaping up nicely. I've had my eye on the aforementioned Trumpeter 1/72 kit for a long time... this may push me over the edge. ;)
Thanks!

Greg

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 15, 2018, 01:40:34 PM

We really need a very good 1/72 Sea Fury ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

strobez

Is the Trumpeter one not good? I saw some very positive reviews...
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

I have two trumpeters.  I have yet to build one but they look OK in the box.
There's a "nit pick" of it here.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

I aim to have a chat at Telford
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 22, 2018, 03:02:48 AM

I aim to have a chat at Telford

When you do, please tell 'em to repop their Rotodyne as part of the Classics range.  They'll listen to you...
;D
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2018, 04:22:33 AM

When you do, please tell 'em to repop their Rotodyne as part of the Classics range.  They'll listen to you...
;D

Yea, on the basis of "if we listen politely to the old duffer he might go away"  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 23, 2018, 05:28:53 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 22, 2018, 04:22:33 AM

;D

Yea, on the basis of "if we listen politely to the old duffer he might go away"  ;D

It worked with their DC9 kit. I pointed out to the them that they had the ONLY DC9 in 1/144 scale at the time, and they re-popped it.

Hasn't the 'dyne been re-popped once already though?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit