F-16V Block 70

Started by DogfighterZen, August 26, 2018, 01:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Ok, at first i wanted to write a backstory for this one but nothing was making much sense so, i chose to just explain the concept or why i built it like this...

When i saw the Mitsubishi F-2A fighter for the first time, i started reading about it and found that the base for the differences between it and the F-16 original design was the Agile Falcon concept, which was to give the F-16C Block 40 a 25% bigger wing with an extra hardpoint for weapons, among other features.
While it is a direct sucessor of the F-16's design, there are some details of the F-2A that make a difference in looks, some may say they're barely noticeable but i've always preferred the original smaller F-16.
Still, although it's my favorite fighter jet design, i've always imagined it with a few different details so, on this one, i wanted to combine the most advanced Viper flying today, the F-16E Block 60, with the Agile Falcon concept and the F-35 JSF technology that was tested on the Viper.
What if all of these features were mixed into the new F-16V Block 70?
Inspired by the beautiful Dark Viper with the Have Glass V color scheme of the USAF Minnesota ANG 148th FW...

This is my take on what the F-16V Block 70 should look like...

Sorry about the pics but i had nowhere else to take pics with good light conditions so these pics of the Viper on the flowerbed will have to do.  :mellow:

The kit is the old Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 but in the limited edition of the UAE's F-16E Desert Falcon, with Hasegawa's F-2A wings and horizontal stabs, an Italeri F-35's nozzle and Lonestar resin parts' F-16DSI conversion set.
The decals come from the Caracal 1/72 Next Gen Vipers sheet.
Now, time to think of the next Viper to build...  :mellow:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Scotaidh

Very nice!  Now do that with an F-16XL ...  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 26, 2018, 03:44:04 AM

But first you need to get an XL.

If ever a kit needed to be re-popped...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :thumbsup: But is it a resolution issue or did the final cat of varnish turn out to be somewhat mottled?  :unsure:

FAR148

Old Wombat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 26, 2018, 05:04:32 AM
Nice!  :thumbsup: But is it a resolution issue or did the final cat of varnish turn out to be somewhat mottled?  :unsure:

I think I remember DfZ mentioning that he gave it a coat of the HAVE Glass paint that is now available from ...... I've forgotten.

Possibly this one?

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That has come out really well  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 26, 2018, 05:30:23 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 26, 2018, 05:04:32 AM

I think I remember DfZ mentioning that he gave it a coat of the HAVE Glass paint that is now available from ...... I've forgotten.

Nope, not the MRP, but i would like to buy some of their colors. I used my own mix of Tamiya colors, the XF-24 dark grey and XF-16 matte aluminium.
The ratio was something like 75% of XF-24 and 25% of XF-16.
The Tamiya metalic colors are a bit rough to mix and to spray. I think it has something to do with pigment size or the metallic flakes in the paint.
But the mottled look could also have been due to bad spraying technique, i might have sprayed it a bit heavier on some areas... :-\
But it's not such a serious issue, it easier to see it in the pics then it is up close in person.

Glad you like it, guys, thanks!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2018, 04:24:23 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on August 26, 2018, 03:44:04 AM

But first you need to get an XL.

If ever a kit needed to be re-popped...........

Well, guess my only problem will be choosing one to do it on...  :wacko:  ;)

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 26, 2018, 09:07:15 AM

Alright for some, I don't think I've ever seen the inside of an XL box!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

:o Oh man... but is it because you really hate the Viper? I thought you liked the XL but, no problem, i love it enough for both of us.  ;D :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, you're right that I'm not a Viper fan really, but an XL is pretty passable, if I only because it has LOTS of Whiffing potential.

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

Brilliant :mellow:

Regarding Have Glass or F-22's paint scheme, one trick people on tha interwebz seem to use is to paint the surface normal grey, then mix a small amount of metallic paint (1/10 to 1/5) to varnish (whether you want the metallic sheen on the insignia etc. depends if metallic is mixed to the clearcoat under decals or in the layer on top of them) to get the metallic shine. Though, mixing metallics into the paint is the only way if you use spraycan varnish instead of airbrush.

nighthunter

Quote from: DogfighterZen on August 26, 2018, 09:07:15 AM

I'm almost crying right now, I love the F-16XL concept, and would love to modernize a kit in either 1/144 or 1/72
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2018, 10:57:58 AM
Hehehe, you're right that I'm not a Viper fan really, but an XL is pretty passable, if I only because it has LOTS of Whiffing potential.

Sure does, and there have been a few very cool looking XL whifs going around, both normal and modified XL builds. That's why i bought so many XL kits. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Snowtrooper on August 26, 2018, 11:08:29 AM
Brilliant :mellow:

Regarding Have Glass or F-22's paint scheme, one trick people on tha interwebz seem to use is to paint the surface normal grey, then mix a small amount of metallic paint (1/10 to 1/5) to varnish (whether you want the metallic sheen on the insignia etc. depends if metallic is mixed to the clearcoat under decals or in the layer on top of them) to get the metallic shine. Though, mixing metallics into the paint is the only way if you use spraycan varnish instead of airbrush.

Well, i've never thought of doing it or seen anything about it before but it makes sense and probably is a good trick but i've also read quite a few articles  where people preferred to mix metallic paint with the colors for airbrushing, since there was no real match in a bottle, at the time they built their models, so that's what i chose to do for the airbrush. Also, i don't use spray cans much cause i suck at using them... :banghead:
Tamiya's metallic paint is not as fine as others like AK and Allclad, but i've been lazy and a bit fearful of buying other brands. My LHS is close but only sells Tamiya so, i choose the easy way and buy there but i really must try other brands soon.

Quote from: nighthunter on August 26, 2018, 12:43:46 PM

I'm almost crying right now, I love the F-16XL concept, and would love to modernize a kit in either 1/144 or 1/72

I've built my first Monogram XL kit as a modernized F-16E MLU of the PoAF. :mellow:
Once in a while on ebay i look for the Monogram XL kit and always find one or two selling. Not always at reasonable price, i know, but last night i found a couple under 50€, with postage. I know it's a bit too much for an old 1/72 plastic model but i guess it comes down to how much you allow yourself to pay for it... i've been bitten by the Viper so, no cure for me... :wacko:
Both of the Monogram XL kits i've bought through ebay, cost me less than 40€ with postage included but i had to look and wait for a good deal to come up.
Besides, 1/144 kits are more available and much cheaper than the 1/72 kit. Have a look on ebay and you'll find 1/144 F-16XL kits under 5£.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=italeri+1+72+F-4E&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F144+F-16XL&_sacat=0

If you want the 1/72 kit, here's a cheaper one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-F-16XL-Delta-Wing-USAF-Fighter-by-Monogram-RARE-NICE/292687185233?hash=item4425840551:g:UJ8AAOSw-cFbeHs9

nighthunter

Thanks Zen, but I'm a Yank, and a relatively poor one at that, lol. My kids come first before my hobbies.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*