BAe Stealth Technology and Noiseless Demonstrator (STAND)

Started by PR19_Kit, August 24, 2018, 04:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Fairly obviously, it's a stand, but with added bits.

It's actually from the Airfix Stratos 4/TSR2 kit which I was just looking at the other day, and the similarity of its shape to that of the F-117 was immediately obvious. I added some intakes on the sides and twin, canted fins at the rear and intended to drill a number of holes in the rear face to act as exhausts, but the 'pebble dash' finish of the stand's plastic didn't help in keeping the drilled holes in line, so I resorted to Plan B. That's the reason for the rather complex slatted exhaust nozzles all along the trailing edge.

The cockpit, serials and decorative fin titles are home printed decals, the landing gear came from a Revell Hunter, and the roundels and fin flash came from a Modeldecal sheet.

The finished build.

The 'In Build' pics.

I started building this a week ago y'day, so it was a 'Lightning Build' for me, but I expect Dizzy would have finished it in two days or so.  ;D

=================

Here's the backstory as well.

BAe Stealth Technology And Noiseless Demonstrator (STAND)

During the mid-'80s many companies in the aviation world were investigating what was to become known as stealth technology, the ability of an aircraft to maintain a low observable outline to radar and other sensors. The primary example of this was the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk of course, and its faceted appearance was the subject of much study by other manufacturers.

BAe in the UK had been investigating such technology for some years but mainly by the use of radar reflecting coatings on various parts of the airframe, but the public advent of the F-117 caused them to change direction. By 1988 their programme resulted in the production of a technology demonstrator in the shape of the BAe STAND aircraft. The STAND was a small, single seat  triangular shaped aircraft constructed almost entirely of composites and powered by twin Rolls Royce Vipers with an extremely complex, and very effective, silencer system which took up almost the entire rear of the aircraft's interior space. As a result the STAND had an very short endurance, less than 40 minutes at normal altitudes, but this was enough to show that the concept worked. The STAND had no normal control surfaces bar the all-flying twin fins, roll and pitch control being carried out by reaction jets at the wing tips, nose and tail, and this system was an offshoot of that developed for the Harrier family of course. Later on some attempts were made to enhance the pitch control by using vertically rotating exhaust nozzles, but they did not have the desired results and were abandoned after a few test flights.

Flying for the first time in March 1989 from BAe Warton, the STAND proved to be a '....handful...' in the words of its chief test pilot, David Eagles. Having already flown the EAP demonstrator with its advanced fly-by-wire control system, Eagles was well qualified to fly the STAND as it used an enhanced version of the EAP's computerised control system, without which it would have been totally unstable. The STAND undertook a comprehensive programme of tests, both in the air and on the ground, to prove it's ability to remain undetected by radars at the time. It spent a considerable time at the RSRE out-station at RAF Pershore for both its ground based tests and its early flight tests, and was later moved to RAE Boscombe Down for testing by service pilots. Later flight tests reverted to Warton in order to use the advanced data collection systems installed there.

While the STAND was originally a private venture on BAe's part, the RAF and FAA were very interested in the technology, and sent some of their own test pilots to try the aircraft out, as reported above. While agreeing that it was very difficult to fly, all were impressed by its ability to remain totally undetected during the tests. Indeed, the STAND was so difficult to detect that it had a radar enhancer installed later on to avoid possible air traffic conflicts. The Ministry of Defence subsequently agreed to fund the project and the STAND was given an RAF serial, ZF600, and carried roundels for the latter period of its life.

While no direct developments of the STAND were built, many aspects of the technology were used during the development of the Eurofighter and later combat aircraft. The STAND itself still exists, but has never been publicly acknowledged, and has never been displayed. As such it remains 'in store' at Warton to this day.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jalles

Ha, ha, that's awesome!  :thumbsup: In my youth, I scratch built a F-117 after that first grainy image was released to the public. It looked a bit like your STAND.

Weaver

Oh I like it: well done Kit!  :thumbsup: ;D

That's the same stand they issue/issued with the classic 1/24th models. I had one (from a Spitfire I think) when I was a kid, and I used to plan all sorts of uses like this for it (mostly sci-fi). Came to nothing though...

Now if the STAND was passed on to Spackman Industries as a stealthy replacement for their Gnat-based High Altitude Testbed, you could call it the HAT STAND. Speaking of which: hat, coat, gone.... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

This is obvious evidence of Alien technology!  The RAF has been visted by other beings from outer space! 

Well done, Kit.  It looks rather intresting, I must say!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What would be its nickname equivalent to the F-117's Wobbly Goblin?.

Paralytic Pixie?, 'orrible Orc?, Langered Lich?

:wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on August 24, 2018, 06:49:20 PM

Now if the STAND was passed on to Spackman Industries as a stealthy replacement for their Gnat-based High Altitude Testbed, you could call it the HAT STAND. Speaking of which: hat, coat, gone.... ;)

Hysterical laughter here H, I LOVE that idea.  ;D

Of course, contrary to my usual builds, the STAND not only is lacking in long wings, it's actually lacking ANY wings at all! But maybe the later versions may have grown some, and I think I may have another Stratos 4 knocking about somewhere.......  ;)

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 24, 2018, 06:56:25 PM

Hehehe JCF, I think Paralytic Pixie would work, it's quite a small airframe, maybe half the size of a -117.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Steel Penguin

thank you Kit,  :thumbsup:
that is brilliant, I have a grin on my face wider that my ears    ;D
wonderfully done
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

63cpe

Wuhahahaha, This is GREAT Kit! Exactly what whiffery for me is all about! It's hilarious!

Started the same thing about two years ago but it still isn't finished. Other project were more highly prioritized...I guess.

IMG_20180825_104404276 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180825_104413542 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Those are the stands of 2 revell H-16 on top of each other and 1/144 B-29 wings. Think I'll better restart the project to finish it.

Thanks for making me laugh, had to show my wife what it was all about....didn't understand it...Ohww, never mind...

Cheers,
David

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Cor, much thanks gents, I'm flattered you think it was as good as you do.  :thumbsup:

I was wondering if it would 'pass muster' as I was building it, but thought 'The hell with it, I'll build it anyway'.

It'll be interesting to see how well it goes down at Telford this year.  ;D

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Hobbes

Heh, that's wonderful.

The shape reminds me of the 'Hopeless Diamond' kit by Unicraft.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on August 25, 2018, 03:48:09 AM

Heh, that's wonderful.

The shape reminds me of the 'Hopeless Diamond' kit by Unicraft.

Thanks so much.  :thumbsup:

Funny you should mention the 'Hopeless Diamond' kit, I've got one somewhere. I should build it to pair off with the STAND.

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 24, 2018, 06:56:25 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wacko:

Well since it was being flown from BAe Warton, which is "oop t'north", maybe they'd christen it the Buggered-Up Boggart.... :wacko:

Boggarts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boggart
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones