Vautour IIR

Started by PR19_Kit, March 16, 2018, 05:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

As mentioned in the Inspirations thread, I'm building a strategic recce IDF/AF Vautour using the Azur kit plus a 12 Squared nose conversion for an F-4E(S) Phantom.

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?action=post;msg=801013;topic=44833.75

Here's the bits......

and here's the first assembly....

Because it has U-2 wings (Now THERE'S a surprise.... ;D) I sawed off the inner and outer parts of the RW wings, and then built up one of the engines. It has resin intakes and exhausts, the latter of which fits and the former doesn't, thus the yawning gap you can see in the top of the cowling. It true 1950s-60s fashion the engines have optional interiors which you can view by leaving off parts of the cowling  :-\ but I glued them in place and left the interiors out.

If the rest of it's like this it's going to be a LONG job.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Hate to tell you this Kit, but those 'bits of engine' you can see through the 'cowling doors' aren't optional: they're the undercarriage bays for the outrigger wheels:

(Assuming your IDF Azur Vautour is the same as my French one)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

sandiego89

So how many sets of U-2 wings do you really have?!?!

We desperately need a re-pop of the 1/72 U-2.  Internet prices (if you cant find one) are getting crazy. 

Looking forward to this one. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 16, 2018, 06:03:28 PM
So how many sets of U-2 wings do you really have?!?!

We desperately need a re-pop of the 1/72 U-2.  Internet prices (if you cant find one) are getting crazy. 

Looking forward to this one.

More to the point, how many spare fuselages does he have? Since he already has 'form' for making a ridiculously long airliner, I think he's saving up to build this one day:

U&U&U&U&U2 by Harold Smith, on Flickr
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 16, 2018, 06:02:27 PM

Hate to tell you this Kit, but those 'bits of engine' you can see through the 'cowling doors' aren't optional: they're the undercarriage bays for the outrigger wheels:

Hm, yes, a slight shortfall in my planning there, but as a veteran Whiffer I have a plan B to hand.  ;D

Quote from: Weaver on March 16, 2018, 06:07:53 PM

More to the point, how many spare fuselages does he have? Since he already has 'form' for making a ridiculously long airliner, I think he's saving up to build this one day:

U&U&U&U&U2 by Harold Smith, on Flickr

Curses, I've been rumbled!  ;D

Yes, I do have a few 'spare' U-2 fuselages to hand.  And Dave is right about the U-2 being re-popped. The Minicraft version does for me because the wings are almost the same as the Airfix ones, but the canopy is a joke if you want to build a real U-2.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

good luck with your project! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Needless to say, this one never really got started, and thanks to RW railway work and the odd heart attack it'll take a while to get finished too.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Excuses, excuses  ;)

I've not even got a semi decent excuse for not finishing mine  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.